Split Charger and relay

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

ramrider
Bongonaut

Split Charger and relay

Post by ramrider » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 am

got this kit, ebay item 261377538767, all is ok but i have to wire to, D+ or L Terminal on alternator, and that might as well be japanese to me, if anyone could help that would be cool :)
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Re: Split Charger and relay

Post by Poohbear » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:36 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261377538767? ... 26_rdc%3D1

Bit late now but a voltage sensing relay would have been a better option as that would only charge the leisure battery when the starter battery is fully charged.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:05 am

What will this one do then
How does this one work then pls
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:07 pm

As poohbear mentioned, the basic split charge on ebay is not the best option. It needs a feed from somewhere on the ignition circuit to activate the relay & connect the batteries in parallel so they both charge (& discharge) at same time. The least worst option is to take the feed from the small cable that comes from the alternator. That will only energise the relay when the engine is running, but the extra load of the relay coil may result in the charge & sediment lights on the instrument panel glowing dimly all the time the engine is running. The even less good option is to take the feed from something that is only powered when the ignition is on such at the windscreen wipers (for example). The big problem with this is that as soon as the ignition key is turned to position 2, both batteries will be connected in parallel. That's great if both batteries are fully charged as you will get double the normal cranking current so the van will start fine, but if the LB is run down, it will drag the voltage of the SB down too so you may not be able to start at all.

A voltage sensing relay (VSR) really is superior option here and you could buy one and still utilise the rest of the kit you have.

If you are not 100% comfortable with installing it yourself, it may be an idea to contact an auto electrician & get them to do it. There is the potential to do damage to the alternator or relay, or worse case a direct short across a battery can lead to fire or an explosion :!:
Last edited by Simon Jones on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:38 pm

Thank you
I have the twin battery winter pack
So Just playing with ideas as what will be best for me
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:45 pm

Use the cabling and fuses etc but bung the relay away and use a Durite 140amp VSR.... 3 connections... sorted... Take a look here

VSR here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-727-33-DURI ... 0747372068 but you may find it cheaper
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
cavey
Bongolier

Post by cavey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321221456888? ... 1423.l2649 Seems like a good idea when on a hookup, or in my case with the solar panel. My concern is that I like to keep things simple, and there's more in this to go wrong! I'm on a plain old ignition switched relay at the mo, and it seems to be working fine, but my engineering brain likes the idea of this far better! Cheers, Dave
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 pm

That's basically same as Willinton split charge relay.
ramrider
Bongonaut

Post by ramrider » Thu May 01, 2014 8:17 am

all up and running, this set up works for us, thanks for the replies

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”