Thanks and Hello

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

trappy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Thanks and Hello

Post by trappy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:53 pm

I joined this site as i put a deposit on a Bongo that I had seen in Wales. Before going to wales from Kent l took the time to join this site and to read all the great posts from you all, the advice was amazing. I got to wales the bongo looked good from the outside, it was a N reg 95 with cool alloy wheels, pop up top, 2wd 2.5 auto, the seller origonally wanted just under 3800 he promised to sell for 3300. The seller had know for a week that i would be arriving this wasnt a private sale it was through a dealer. Upon seeing the bongo i immediately found that the switch inside the popup didnt work and the,alarm stayed on all the time, the seller side if you dont like it dont buy it his work mates then ripped a swith from another bongo. All door cards were on their last legs, it was advertised as electric mirrors, only one worked, while there the electric plug on the tow bar fell off due to rust. The centre console had been butchered and was only held on by a front fixinx. Lile the advice given on bongo fury i asked the seller to go through every switch and knob, some worked some didnt some no one knew what they were. Air con vents in the rear werehanging off but you'd only know this by touching them. I also read the bit on this site saying jap vehicles must have a try under the engine to catch any spills, well let me tell you it was tipping it down but remembering the advice i layed down in my best jeans and north face jacket in the worlds biggest puddle to have a look. I found the gear box smothered in oil. The dealer to his credit had changed the cam belt, tentioners a pipe and fan belt called his mechanic over who assured me that it was nothing and had prob come from him changing the rocker gasket. I told them this wasnt fresh oil it was old at which ppint the dealer handed me the current Mot that had am advisory of oil leak so i phoned the garage that did the mot that lead me onto old owner. Gutted I asked for my deposit back and caught a £100 train back to Kent.
I think what im trying to say is this is a cracking forum and everyone is amoungst friends who try and help each other, i have found all advice invaluable, so thank you all. PS I cant spell for toffee so sorry for any mistakes or grammer :-)
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Thanks and Hello

Post by the laird » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Don't worry about mistakes in spelling! At least you didn't make a bigger mistake and had bought a shed by the sounds of it,at least you learned a bit from this forum and took on advice you read regarding these vehicles,go to members for sale section you might get a veh here
Well done and welcome on board
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:27 pm

Welcome aboard.
trappy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by trappy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Thankyou for the warm welcome :-)
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Pity to hear about your wasted Welsh trip, if you spot any Bongos you fancy down my way and to save you any more wasted trips let me know and if possible I'll take a look for you and report back on what I see.
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Nice one Mellon man ! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
been-and-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by been-and-bongo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi.

Just to echo your sentiments I spent a fair amount on fuel driving to look at wrecks, on getting there the garage sellers assumed I was already a bongo owner or a mechanic as I knew where to look/questions to ask.

Good luck in your search I'm also happy to view a local one.
Are we human, or are we campers?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”