Top heater

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Top heater

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi all,
Had a bit of an issue with the van last night, we got a bit hot, not over heated and when got home found the little culprit that caused the coolant loss.
Replaced and done the bleeding process, all ok apart from little heat coming from face level vents, on lower is roasting and the rear works fine.
Is it possible to air lock the front heater matrix so that this situation would occur, when you put climate control onto floor and face it blows hot, its only when on face level only that it blows luke warm.

Anyone come across this before?.
On another note Ive finally after 8 years decided to get a coolant alarm and not rely on checking and the mason alarm.
mike, jo and emma
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Re: Top heater

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Could be that the selector rod has come off? On the inside, footwell.
You Tube Films Click Here
"Get your wellies out. No likey floaty Bongo's"
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:29 pm

not that chell :cry:
mike, jo and emma
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:54 pm

I think, purely from what others have said that you have to be careful when bleeding to ensure their is no air lock in the heater matrix.
However, I don't think this is your problem - the heater matrix gets air shoved through it and then gets diverted to your feet, windscreen or wherever. If it works fine for your feet, the problem must be between the matrix output and the face vents rather than the matrix itself.
I'm not familiar with the particular set up here but the tubing for vents can sometimes be a bit haphazard and a join may have slipped out of place
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:24 am

Cheers tony, after 8 years of ownership ive had my fair share of coolant changes and split pipes. Both pipes hot to matrix so no air in there esp as we have heat at floor. I hear the diverter plates move and all connectors look ok. We have hot air from top vents when floor and face selected so we are getting some through, it only when face vents only, its warm but not the usual melt an ice cream warm. Was working fine up until this coolant loss.
Cant work out what is is yet .
All bled as usual, got up to temp and all pipes got hot, will check levels tomorrow and see if we have an air bubble anywhere. Went for a drive tonight and nice to say needle back down to 2 minutes past 12 position rather than 10 past last night. Im amazed we havent done head before with all the overheats weve had over the years.
mike, jo and emma

Return to “Techie Stuff”