How to stop judder when raising roof?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

nickb
Apprentice Bongonaut

How to stop judder when raising roof?

Post by nickb » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 am

During the last few seconds of the roof lifting process we get an increasingly loud juddering noise, I'm presuming from the hydraulic arms. Can anyone advise how I might go about stopping this? It rather annoying for our campsite neighbors late at night or early morn. Lubing something somewhere?
Any suggestions appreciated.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: How to stop judder when raising roof?

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:05 am

Try silicon spray grease on the runners and wheels (buy from Halfords or other motor shops)
You can use it on the window runners as well.
Lost without my Bongo.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi, I've had this same issue for a number of years. Lubrication of all moving parts is a good idea, however as I've found out, you will have to lubricate the shafts on the assisters in order to reduce this particular noise. But it will only help short term. Ultimately the fix is to renew the hydrolic lifters, as they are the source of the noisy.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 pm

You do not lubricate the struts, they look after themselves, you should actually polish with printer paper or similar until the paper shows no marks.
nickb
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by nickb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:04 pm

windywatson wrote:you will have to lubricate the shafts on the assisters in order to reduce this particular noise
Thanks very much for the advice. Silicon grease and WD40 (for the inaccessible parts) has reduced it a lot but not completely. Would you mind describing exactly what part you mean by the assister shafts so I know which bit to focus on? Cheers
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 pm

I've cleaned and sprayed and it always comes back, but what I do notice is that if the van is uneven the noises are usually present as well, I've come to the conclusion that any imbalance in the AFT will cause the noise. It always sounds worse from the inside as well!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”