Bed and seat conversion

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Harbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bed and seat conversion

Post by Harbongo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Evening Bongonauts!

Posted the following topic:
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 48&t=63449

Not sure which boards its applicable to though, and thought it might be appropriate here as well, for those converting their Bongos?
I'm sure its compatible with certain additions such as stoves/fridges etc, so thought it might be worth a read for you lot!!

Basically, Ian Taylor over at www.japcarimport.co.uk created a bed for our Bongo, using the original seat...the idea being that it is much safer for travelling in than your typical rock 'n' roll style bed.

If you're fed up with having to load up with another mattress/memory foam toppers, then this could be the solution you need! It's been useful for us, so just had to share it!

Happy camping!
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Re: Bed and seat conversion

Post by Bluespanner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 pm

That looks like an excellent job. I gave up along time ago trying to sleep on the bongo seats.
Thanks for the info, I'm sure alot of owners will be interested in this way round the lumpy seat prob.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 pm

It looks most impressive.

I might consider having one made from my permanently removed rear seat, which is currently serving as a Clarksoneque settee (I chose the term carefully as it is hardly comfortable enough to describe as a sofa) indoors, and swap it occasionally with my current sleeping set up based on the original middle bench slid right to the back with a plywood board resting on plastic storage crates in front of it .

I suspect that, although very likely more comfortable, the rock and roll lookalike will not turn out to give me the overall versatility which I currently enjoy. I will miss the 1,2 or 3 seat split and easy access from inside to things stored under/behind the seat backs, for a start, but I'm sure I won't miss the lumpiness.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Cracking solution. Can I ask what supports the additional back piece when flattened? I know it's connected to the seat at one end but what's at the other?

Cheers
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Harbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Harbongo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 am

Hi,

Sorry this reply was so slow, I don't check this a lot!

Its basically two vertical metal poles/sticks which you can just about see in the first photo (they've been upholstered too so they're grey sticks for us!). When you lift the seat and fold that section down, the metal bars just fit on the inside plastics on the bottom of the seat, keeping them out the way.

I hope this helps! :-)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”