Whining Noise after Wheel Spin Episode,Differential??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bluespanner
Bongolier

Whining Noise after Wheel Spin Episode,Differential??

Post by Bluespanner » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:26 am

I got stuck reversing out of the garden about a week back, the back wheels (or at least one) were spinning on the gravel. It took about 6 attempts, normally I would have got out and put something under the wheel. Afterwards I noticed a whine from the engine in low gear, its not there or audible in higher gears at speed. After reading a few posts here Im wondering whether Ive damaged the the diff or the oil is really low in there, its not been done since Ive had it, 8yrs. Im going on 200mile trip in a couple of hours. What are my chances of making it Doctor?? I have no choice on it ? Can I top up the oil without probs as a temporary measure? Its a 2 wheel drive diesel 2.5td 1996. Thanks in a advance.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Whining Noise after Wheel Spin Episode,Differential??

Post by helen&tony » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 am

Hi
I'd tend to ignore and drive...I don't imagine a few miles (200) making a difference
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Diff oil should be changed every 100,000km (approx 60,000 miles) so it sounds like it's well overdue if not changed for at least 8 years.

Factsheet here: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... ential.pdf

I doubt you would have damaged the diff as I would expect the noise to change with road speed whereas you are hearing something which seems to relate to engine speed.
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks Helen and Simon.
It made the trip ok and that is very slack of me not to have changed the diff oil. Ive done just about everything else on a regular basis. Didn't occur to me. I tend to agree with you simon about the noise probably not the diff. The noise increases when turning right and becomes very auidable and does appear to be related to revs rather than road speed. I've just got back and now had a chance to lift the seats up and bonnet. engine oil normal, atf fluid looks ok and doesn't have a burnt smell.brake fluid ok, however the power steering reservoir is empty. I checked maybe 3/4 weeks ago and it was fine. No obvious signs of it leaking either and steering seems normal not heavy, but both the front alloys have become very dark, covered in a murky coloured dirt. The pads were done last year and the wheels have been ok till now.. Could a leak in power steering be making this noise??
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Looking at other posts in the forums the same noise has been experience by others when the psf is low. The wheel spin episode and the noise occurring shortly after now looks like a coincidence. I will top up the psf and report back. Does the bongo have special needs when it comes to power steering fluid ?
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:39 pm

Just normal Dexron111 auto transmission fluid .. but .. if the seals are OK it should not require regular topping up..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Update on the whinning noise. I bought some "10K Boost" Super Concentrate Stop Leak Power Steering Fluid and poured it straight into the PSF reservoir, turning the steering wheel to the right and back (ignition off) to help release the trapped air. The fluid states it can also be used as a tramission fluid alone and is suitable for most power steering systems. I used the whole can and did not need to add any Dexron 3 fluid to top up. I took the van out for a spin, and hey presto!! the noise has dissappeared. At the moment the level has stayed constant in the reservoir, but I shall monitor it closely. I suspect there is a leak somewhere and parts will need replacing at some point in the near future. But for the moment this stuff appears to have cured the horrible whinning noise. Still not entirely sure why the noise increased in pitch with the engine revs. I'm sure someone here will know. Its a relief to know that a noise that sounded terminal and/or very expensive had a less serious explanation.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:24 pm

its not electric but gets power from engine so makes sense to me

Return to “Techie Stuff”