Radiator cooling ATF - flow and contents

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

levon
Bongonaut

Radiator cooling ATF - flow and contents

Post by levon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi

The feedpipe for ATF to the radiator has popped off the metal pipe ends twice and they slowly work their way towards the end of the pipe despite me attaching them with double jubilee clips done up VERY tightly.

I'd like to check the flow for the ATF through the radiator as I wonder if this has a blockage causing back pressure which is causing the pipe to pop off?

Question is how? What do I reference against? What is inside the radiator where the transmission fluid flows through? Can I safely blow air gently down the ATF exit pipe to see if any debris comes out the intake (is there a mesh filter in the rad?)

I've a new pipe on order but I'm not convinced that the pipe is wholly to blame or will fix the problem.

Any one any other ideas what could cause a back pressure?

Thanks, Levon
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Radiator cooling ATF - flow and contents

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Personally I have never took the bottom of an auto's radiator of to see what's inside .. but I would not think it would be gauze / mesh as that would block the flow of fluid ...

The two pipes from the gearbox to the bottom of the rad can be dis connected and easily blown through .. BUT .. if they can safely be left attached to the gear box when doing so I would not know as I have never tried ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:04 pm

the oil cooler is a twin skin 1 and a half inch dia tube just longer than the pipe inlet /outlet measurement. the outer skin is against the water with the oil at the other side, the inner tube is a fairly fine mesh made of copper, this looks like its not to filter, but to slow the flow of oil so it cools better.
you can take both pipes off the gearbox end and blow through with very low pressure, i use a upright bike pump, i would never suggest blowing into the gearbox as this may affect the pump,or the pump may indeed stop the air, but thats your shout.

if the pipes are clear to the front end i would be thinking that there would be a problem on the gearbox either the valves or the oil pump maybe an idea to research the pressure relief valve on the oil pump.
levon
Bongonaut

Post by levon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks Northern Bongolow and Mike, I'll be taking a look and trying to check it out next weekend, i'll let you know what I find...

Cheers

Levon

Return to “Techie Stuff”