fuel gauge non linear?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

the1andonly
Tribal Elder

fuel gauge non linear?

Post by the1andonly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Now that I'm running on farm foods finest i'm actually taking note of fuel gauge (as opposed to its time to fill up /don't need to). The gauge read under half added 15l then off to fuel station, after 8 l I got diesel on my boots, only got 9 l in. 24l
The gauge does move to both extremes.
is it really that non linear (post i read suggested the other way)
or have i got a tank full of crud
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Re: fuel gauge non linear?

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:20 pm

It might be worth re earthing the fuel tank, cheap easy fix that might just solve your problem.
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=48363
Lost without my Bongo.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:19 pm

do others find it is linear. is it believed to be linear or just accept you need a new earth?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 pm

I believe it is non-linear as you need the accuracy to be at the lower end of the scale when there is less fuel in the tank. The shape of the tank is also a factor. If it was box shaped, the fuel level would drop at a constant amount, but as it is tapered at the top and bottom, the rate varies.

For anyone with a donut shaped LPG tank, the effect of the curved walls is much greater. I've seen the software used by BRC to control the 4 LEDs on an LPG fuel gauge and it has to factor in the X and Y radius of the tank and it's very smart how it takes these in account. The actual float also pivots on a radius just to add another factor to the mix. If anyone has an erratic LPG gauge then take it to a garage who know how to use the software properly and they should be able sort it (assuming it's a half decent system).
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi
On the Bongo we had previous to our current one, I fitted a different instrument console just to see if it worked (it came with a box full of spares when we bought it) The fuel gauge read differently to the one fitted - I was used to:-
full -> 3/4 = 120 km
3/4 -> 1/2 = 150 km
1/2 -> 1/4 = 150 km
1/4 -> as low as I dare = 60 km

The different one dropped a lot slower at the full part of the scale then took a nose dive later on.

On our current Bongo it's different again so this may point to it being just the luck of the draw as to how your gauge works rather than a problem.
However, the earth issue is reasonably common I believe.

Return to “Techie Stuff”