stewby's snapshot of scotland...

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

stewby
Bongolier

stewby's snapshot of scotland...

Post by stewby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:56 pm

introduction...
the plan is to show neil scotland. he wants to see why i am always spouting off about how beautiful scotland is compared to england. (no offence intended to england peoples, it's a joke between us cause he is from stevenage and i am from deeside).
:roll:

step 1: the actual plan...
massive thanks to muz for showing me how to use googlemaps properly. it is amazingly easy to plan stuff.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... ,10.821533

this is the plan. as you can see we are taking in some islands. this is mainly cause neil and i both really like boats and the sea. this is our first actual bongo holiday. we have been away for a couple of weekends and done a five day festival. but nothing like this before.
this holiday is also going to be our first attempt at wild camping. each island is for three nights... the last night on each island will be in a proper campsite (if we can find them) so that we can refill supplies, empty the portaloo, and recharge the batteries. the other two nights on each island will be wild-camping (i am very excited about this).
:D

the begging...
here is my problem. i have a few actually.
*there is a campsite i was hoping to stay at called kilbride. it has really good reviews and is on south uist. apparently only about a four minute drive to the ferry on eriskay (although i don't fully trust google maps). however, i am really struggling to find it. i have put the rough location on the map. if anyone knows where it is, can you please let me know.
* wildcamping. as we have never wildcamped before, can anyone tell me any major rules (or where i would find a website with the rules on) so i know exactly what we are doing. i know we can't put awnings up (we aren't taking it with us) and that we need to leave the area as we found it. but is there anything else major??
* i am trying to find eoligarry which seems to have an amazing beach but when i search for it in google maps, it takes me to the centre of the island. anyone know where it is??

if anyone has any advice at all or any suggestions i would be very glad to hear it.
thank you very much for your time.
:)

p.s: i wasn't sure whether or not ot post my own thread or piggyback on to someone else's so i just made my own one. didn't want to cause any problems. thanks again.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: stewby's snapshot of scotland...

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Eoligarry is Eòlaigearraidh on your map, it's all in Gaelic. The roadsigns are too so you'll have to get used to it. It's just to the north of the airfield which I know you'll be paying a visit to :wink:
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Kilbride Campsite is at Cille Bhrìghde, that's all in Gaelic too.
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:44 pm

i was waiting for you to turn up muz. are you impressed with my googlemaps effort??
:P

is that the barra airport?? cause it is already on the map.
:wink:

the plan was to wildcamp at eoligarry cause it is so pretty there. just for one night before moving on further down the island. we are just doing a quick "my country is better than yours" tour. next year, neil will be in charge of the english version. probably going to be the lake district or cornwall/devon (maybe both. although it will probably be me doing the planning anyways cause i have control issues).

anyways... i am getting ahead of myself. need to focus on scotland for a start.
:D

edit: does it look like it is in the right place on the map muz?? (it is the yellow dot marked ??kilbride).
hairyneep
Bongolier

Post by hairyneep » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:58 pm

This should answer a lot of questions
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Yep, Barra airport. You've got it marked in the right place.

I'd say the Kilbride one wants to be a bit further southeast. But there can't be much else there :wink:

If you were planning to go to Jura, according to Google Maps someone has towed it into the Atlantic and sunk it :(
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:53 pm

joined the website. currently looking through the how to guide thread. i have put hairyneep as your username on there. hope that is right??
:oops:
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:06 pm

stewby wrote:

is that the barra airport?? cause it is already on the map.
Last time we were on Barra there was signs barring camping around the airport,something to do with ruining the machair.
Apart from the ferry ports there was a great wee spot at Vatersay community hall.

Just Beware the Vatersay Boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VfoxVGO-mk

8)
all the same but different
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:26 pm

hahahaha. you had me worried for a minute there. hooray for the youtube video.
:lol:
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Mulshy that was bloody minted mate never seen that one b4'
Are you going to the red squirrel in aug?
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:33 pm

the laird wrote: Are you going to the red squirrel in aug?
If I've got diesel in the tank and time off work,we'll be there!
all the same but different
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:26 pm

hmmm... the guy on tripadvisor thinks we are trying to do too much in two weeks.
:(

what do you guys think?? should i pare it down a bit. maybe just tour round skye and barra instead of ferrying to all the islands?? i am really keen to do a flight from barra to benbecula (a surprise for neil).

any advice would be very gratefully received cause i am a bit unsure now.
:?
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 am

attempt number two - not including any islands. (also not including any wildcamping although i was tempted to wildcamp at port appin).

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... ,21.643066

this is just the bare bones just now. do you think this sounds more reasonable?? (remembering that it is our first big holiday).
:wink:
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:33 am

I thought Plan A was ok, that's the kind of thing we'd do in a fortnight assuming (as we do) that we're never more than one night in one place :wink:

Plus the ferries make it so much more of an adventure :D
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 pm

have had a reply from the guy on the tripadvisor forum and he says our plan is okay but recommends dumping john o' groats. which has been done.

new plan seems a lot more feasible... and it still includes our ferries and some wildcamping!!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... ,10.821533

we are thinking about just wildcamping on the islands... unless someone has a fantastically awesome wild camping spot on skye.

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”