ignition barrel.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Time Lord
Apprentice Bongonaut

ignition barrel.

Post by Time Lord » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 am

Hi, Anybody out there in Bongoland thats removed ignition barrel ? I need to do it on my M reg Bongo, because of key loss. Also is there a number stamped on barrel and Where ?
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: ignition barrel.

Post by Doone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Read bigdaddycain's post halfway down the page on THIS LINK It might be an easier way to solve your problem.
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm

It seems strange to me .. I joined Bongo Fury before even having a Bongo .. and have asked / answered a few posts since ..

I notice the original poster from .. Sun Sep 16, 2007 .. had only made two posts (both related to the missing key) .. I wonder why they don't hang around to ask / contribute on the Forum for longer ??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:52 pm

Perhaps they lost their Bongo shortly afterwards :).

I'm always slightly wary when new people turn up to post questions about how to remove the ignition barrel, or get into a vehicle as they have lost their keys. Perhaps it's just paranoia, but this is exactly the type of information that a casual car thief would find quite helpful.

Bit late now, but for less than £10 you can get a spare key cut and then not have to worry. If you had a metal safe with say £5000 cash in it, you would make damn sure you had a spare key to get into in. Why is a vehicle any different?
Time Lord
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Time Lord » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Again,
For those of you who are doubting my intentions or think I'm some sort of "slippery customer" I joined the club approx 2007 and was a member for a number of years. Have attended the Stourport bash. The membership lapsed due to illness and little use of the Bongo, which I retained, hence M reg.
Now that's out of the way thanks to Doone, I have tried that route with the door barrel but couldn't find a number. Will have another look. Will also have a good look underside for any mag box. I hope to sort the problem out soon and get back to Bongo driving.
Time Lord
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Time Lord » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:19 am

Hi Again,

Doone.

More news, have removed door barrel again and have found a 5 digit code. Sent this to a company in Bournemouth (01202 526090 ) from archives, they are making 2 keys for approx £23.00 inc postage. Will send further post if it works.

For anyone else in this situation, its a ten minute job to remove barrel. Take off door trim, 5 screws on my Bongo, 3 visible and 2 not. They are inside the door opening lever and finger slot to close door. Remove connector to window controls by pushing down plastic catch on connector, unclip door opening rod from plastic clip( be careful here)and remove door opening lever. Lift off inner door trim.Behind is a plastic sheet held on with gooey silicone ( messy in hot weather like now ), peel this back to access door barrel. A gold clip holds the barrel in place, remove with long screwdriver used as a lever and placed thro 8mm hole directly in front of barrel.Lever upwards whilst holding clip, and watch your fingers. The barrel will come out after removing another opening rod from clip as before. Number is very small and maybe covered in gunge as mine was. Praying the new keys work !.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:24 am

Time Lord wrote:Hi Again,

Doone.

More news, have removed door barrel again and have found a 5 digit code. Sent this to a company in Bournemouth (01202 526090 ) from archives, they are making 2 keys for approx £23.00 inc postage. Will send further post if it works.

For anyone else in this situation, its a ten minute job to remove barrel. Take off door trim, 5 screws on my Bongo, 3 visible and 2 not. They are inside the door opening lever and finger slot to close door. Remove connector to window controls by pushing down plastic catch on connector, unclip door opening rod from plastic clip( be careful here)and remove door opening lever. Lift off inner door trim.Behind is a plastic sheet held on with gooey silicone ( messy in hot weather like now ), peel this back to access door barrel. A gold clip holds the barrel in place, remove with long screwdriver used as a lever and placed thro 8mm hole directly in front of barrel.Lever upwards whilst holding clip, and watch your fingers. The barrel will come out after removing another opening rod from clip as before. Number is very small and maybe covered in gunge as mine was. Praying the new keys work !.

Well Done,hope you are keeping OK now.

=D> =D> =D>
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:45 pm

=D> Good work. Sounds like you'll soon be back on the road. 8)
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
Time Lord
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Time Lord » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 am

Hi again,
Friday 19/07/13, just took delivery of 2 keys via royal mail, all fine and working perfect. Can get back on the road again !. My thanks to Ian , Doone , Bigdaddycain, and to Rita for the kind words. Thanks also to Access Key and Lock in Bournemouth for their services, spot on. Phew I can now relax again, the second key tucked up safe.

Return to “Techie Stuff”