Side door lock and Coolant alarm

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

elmanc
Junior Bongonaut

Side door lock and Coolant alarm

Post by elmanc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Dear All,

Today my side door locked and will not open from the inside or outside ? I have tried with the key from the drivers door, which activates the button on the inside side door but its not opening. Any ideas plz ?

Also I have a coolant alarm that keeps going off and driving me crazy. It looks like the screw type with a screw high (above the full level)and one low (below the low level) with a connecting wire on each. These are situated on the water resovoir.
Water levels are normal , every time I check, so I can only asume theres a problem.

Help or point in the right direction to sort much apreciated.
The only difference between a mad man and I is that I am not mad !
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Re: Side door lock and Coolant alarm

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Door may just need a thump, there may be threads on this where to thump in the correct place.
The screws will probably just need removed and cleaned it's a common fault.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:58 pm

You should NEVER have one of the coolant alarm screws ABOVE the FULL line.
If you have two screws in the front of the tank there should be one midway between the FULL&LOW lines and the second one below the LOW line.
If you only have one screw it should be between the FULL & LOW lines.

If your alarm is sounding when it shouldn't...make sure the coolant is above the top screw by at least 10mm.......if this is o.k. Then remove the top screw ,,, wire brush it and replace.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Regarding the door. There's a good article in the members fact sheets on this about how you can get the door card off to try to sort.

I had exactly the same problem a few weeks back and the best £20 I've spent recently was going over to Wheelquick in Wigan. Job done in 30mins, some good advice on the van and really good people to deal with. Give them a bell.

Not far from you either.

Dave
elmanc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by elmanc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks all, Dave did they say what was causing the door to lock ? Or is it just a case of getting in behind the panel and sorting ? Haydn , thanks I will go and have a look to make sure I have got this right ! Probably is as you say.
notlob
Bongolier

Post by notlob » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:10 pm

elmanc wrote:Thanks all, Dave did they say what was causing the door to lock ? Or is it just a case of getting in behind the panel and sorting ? Haydn , thanks I will go and have a look to make sure I have got this right ! Probably is as you say.
On mine it was just down to dirty contacts / sticking contacts.

Dave
elmanc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by elmanc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks once again all,

Checked the screws on the water tank and they are correctly situated, however as correctly suggested the water level looks a bit low, so I will top up and clean top screw.

I have looked at the sliding door factsheet and have checked the fuse which is ok, so I am working my way through the possibilities. Im not great with these sort of things as I am hopeless with car mechanics. In saying that Bongos seem to provoke a kind of problem solving interest (weird). Then again we all drive them lol Nuff said.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 pm

If you have got Haydn's excellent high coolant add on module, then you would have a second screw fitted at the top of the tank. Of course, you may have some other type of coolant alarm....
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:09 pm

sometimes the door goes in wonky mode when the battery is removed/ or well down.
a good belt with the flat hand on the inside panel low down near the front edge sorts it out.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:02 pm

elmanc wrote:Thanks once again all,

Checked the screws on the water tank and they are correctly situated, however as correctly suggested the water level looks a bit low, so I will top up and clean top screw.

I have looked at the sliding door factsheet and have checked the fuse which is ok, so I am working my way through the possibilities. Im not great with these sort of things as I am hopeless with car mechanics. In saying that Bongos seem to provoke a kind of problem solving interest (weird). Then again we all drive them lol Nuff said.
Just top it up and see what happens. The coolant level should be at the full line when cold.
Sounds as though the alarm was doing what it,s supposed to do.
You wouldn't,t believe the number of phone calls I get from peeps getting irate because the alarm keeps beeping on bends/hills etc........it,s doing what it,s supposed to do when the level drops.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 pm

give the door a good thump

from the inside halfway up the door card near the front.

If it does not work it at least teaches the thing a lesson
elmanc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by elmanc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 am

Dear All,
Door sorted , turned out to be a broken wire inside the door somewhere ? The mechanic I use is a good guy and is really helpfull, but still cost me £40 ! Well at least we are up and running again. Now wheres that coolant alarm lol

Return to “Techie Stuff”