Bring Me a Bongo

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

RDCol
Bongonaut

Bring Me a Bongo

Post by RDCol » Sun May 19, 2013 11:46 am

Hi, me again.
Anyone here help with some advice/opinions of the Bringmeabongo rear conversions? Not sure how you access to kitchen area from inside the van as the rear seats seem to be in the way. Does anyone have this conversion coupled with an AFT? Not much room to stand and cook by the look of it either. Gives a great bed though. :D
Thanks as always. :)
RDCol
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Bring Me a Bongo

Post by Simon Jones » Sun May 19, 2013 1:52 pm

http://www.bringmeabongo.com/index.html

Looks like easiest access is from the rear. Using the front seats as part of the bed will result in quite an undulating surface to sleep on. Due to the narrow nature of the gap in the rear, I don't think you'll be able to sit anywhere while you're waiting for the kettle to boil.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun May 19, 2013 9:33 pm

I've not heard this lot mentioned / recommended here on BF. Their blurb seems vaguely familiar, like I may have seen them selling individual 'dream' Bongos on ebay around the time I was looking to buy (are they Warrington based?). Very seductive, but I'd want to check the quality of any converters workmanship before committing, as I've heard stories of some really dodgy Bongo conversions from garages who subsequently work on them.
RDCol
Bongonaut

Post by RDCol » Mon May 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Cheers Guys,

Yes, they are based in Warrington, not too far for me to visit, just nice to get some idea of their credibility before I waste the fuel though. The fact that the conversion is removable is sort of appealing, plus a full width bed. I had a coachbuilt VW and the one thing I disliked very soon after purchase was the fact that the double bed wasn't really. I appreciate that the Bongo is only small but it has other attributes that far exceed that of my coachbuilt (ease of parking, okay as a daily driver, cheaper on ferries, add these to the fact that I like Bongos anyway :D ), I just want to maximise the bed space.
Celtic Motorhomes do a similar galley style rear kitchen that I like too but I don't think it's removable (not a huge problem). What's the story on this conversion?
I still intend to buy my Bongo from JAL but they don't do this style of conversion unfortunately.
All you good people will have to put signs out at the Bash advertising your conversion choice. Then people like me could get to view the many options in one place. :wink:
Cheers
RDCol
RobEvans
Bongolier

Post by RobEvans » Mon May 20, 2013 7:33 pm

We have a rear removable kitchen from Northstar conversions in Southampton it suits us and like being able to cook from outside as well . Have taken it out a few times to do various works on the bongo, flooring parking sensors. Had it for over a year now and still in one piece. Will be at the Bongo bash so you are welcome to have a good look. When you want to remove it , it does take 2 of us cheers Rob
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon May 20, 2013 8:29 pm

RDCol wrote:Cheers Guys,

Yes, they are based in Warrington, not too far for me to visit, just nice to get some idea of their credibility before I waste the fuel though. The fact that the conversion is removable is sort of appealing, plus a full width bed. I had a coachbuilt VW and the one thing I disliked very soon after purchase was the fact that the double bed wasn't really. I appreciate that the Bongo is only small but it has other attributes that far exceed that of my coachbuilt (ease of parking, okay as a daily driver, cheaper on ferries, add these to the fact that I like Bongos anyway :D ), I just want to maximise the bed space.
Celtic Motorhomes do a similar galley style rear kitchen that I like too but I don't think it's removable (not a huge problem). What's the story on this conversion?
I still intend to buy my Bongo from JAL but they don't do this style of conversion unfortunately.
All you good people will have to put signs out at the Bash advertising your conversion choice. Then people like me could get to view the many options in one place. :wink:
Cheers
RDCol
Celtic Motorhomes are tops for quality, from all I've ever heard about them. :-)
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Tue May 21, 2013 7:28 am

I think that you may have to take a longer more considered approach in choosing the right conversion to suit your needs.

I'm toying with the idea of producing a fact sheet in the guise of a xl spreadsheet:

Basic image of conversion type; advantages, disadvantages, approx cost etc etc

Problem is that it is totally horses for courses. What is good for one is totally inappropriate for another.

We discovered that having the bongo unconverted for our tour last year in France made us rethink how we actually 'campaign' on the road:

a. What we take & out of that do/did we actually need or use it!
b. What you take - does it have more than one use (bongos don't have acres of space)
c. Current & future needs; i.e. kids or grandkids insisting on coming along with you!
d. Ease of use - the conversion has got to be user friendly - no point in spending your hard earn dosh on something that has poor storage or restricts seating/cooking etc........never fry inside t'bongo....oh no!! [-X [-X [-X

Just to put it into context. We knew that a side conversion is what we wanted, as we plan to wild camp in Scotland and want to have a small foot print - no awning etc etc! However, a rock and roll bed (which we had previously) was totally unsuited to our needs as a family. It's fixed, has little storage and limits where additional storage cupboards can be placed in the cab because it is fixed! So, after reasearch and a gent called Rupert at Free Spirit Auto who was very patient and took lots of time with us, we had enough to form an opinion on which seating arrangement would be best for us!
So, after a little more shopping around and actually seeing a similar conversion to the one we wanted - we chose 321 Away to do the deed and we haven't looked back since!

If at all possible, find a very generous owner who would let you use their bongo for a weekend with a fit you'd like or find a rental outfit. Also at the big meet - spend ages just looking round and round and round until you have sponged all the info you need and then pounce!
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Tue May 21, 2013 9:56 am

I have a removeable kitchen (don't know who made it originally though). I find it more than adequate for our purposes> We also have a gul wing seat in the back and have reversed the middle row to face backwards which makes it much more user friendly.
RDCol
Bongonaut

Post by RDCol » Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 pm

RDCol wrote:Cheers Guys,

Cheers
RDCol
Apologies Phil,

I had not seen this conversion on the JAL website so I assumed it was not an option. Phil has since informed me that this is indeed an option that he can offer and I would just like to correct my statement to reflect this.
RDCol
aliwarbo
Bongonaut

Post by aliwarbo » Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 pm

If it helps, we looked at Bringmeabongo as they are not too far from us and were very impressed with the quality of the units, well made and all fitted very well etc. We decided in the end to buy an unconverted to see how it went, and we have stayed that way as that is what suits us. I know they do now provide their units without the need to buy the van from them too.
Observer
Bongolier

Post by Observer » Wed May 29, 2013 8:28 am

aliwarbo wrote:If it helps, we looked at Bringmeabongo as they are not too far from us and were very impressed with the quality of the units, well made and all fitted very well etc. We decided in the end to buy an unconverted to see how it went, and we have stayed that way as that is what suits us. I know they do now provide their units without the need to buy the van from them too.
I can agree with the quality, we got ours from them. Also the van itself has never let us down and always sales through it’s MOT with only the usual ‘consumables’ needing replacement. Within the warranty period they even paid for fixing a leak and re-gassing the aircon – I just sent them the bill!
After a couple of seasons though it became obvious that although the bed was very roomy it was so uncomfortable being so lumpy and bed making became a pain needing precision seat adjustment. Also I could never get close enough to the cooker due to the way the AFT hinges from the rear leaving no headroom directly at the back.
After a great deal of thought, I got a rock'n'roll bed fitted and then I moved the 'removable' cooker/sink unit up to the front next to the other one and re-attached it the same way. They use short ratchet straps to pull the units up tight.
It was a tight squeeze in the bed for two and I had to remove the cupboard door knobs to enable the bed the bed to lay flat but it was a start. I have since then re-contoured the backs of the units and made them a lot narrower and they are now fixed together for good.
The rear cupboard doors would now not open due to the R &R bed but after making a lift up work top using concealed hinges,the rear unit now houses the top loader fridge, and all of the other services.
My iPhone - My office
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 pm

Observer wrote:
aliwarbo wrote:If it helps, we looked at Bringmeabongo as they are not too far from us and were very impressed with the quality of the units, well made and all fitted very well etc. We decided in the end to buy an unconverted to see how it went, and we have stayed that way as that is what suits us. I know they do now provide their units without the need to buy the van from them too.
I can agree with the quality, we got ours from them. Also the van itself has never let us down and always sales through it’s MOT with only the usual ‘consumables’ needing replacement. Within the warranty period they even paid for fixing a leak and re-gassing the aircon – I just sent them the bill!
After a couple of seasons though it became obvious that although the bed was very roomy it was so uncomfortable being so lumpy and bed making became a pain needing precision seat adjustment. Also I could never get close enough to the cooker due to the way the AFT hinges from the rear leaving no headroom directly at the back.
After a great deal of thought, I got a rock'n'roll bed fitted and then I moved the 'removable' cooker/sink unit up to the front next to the other one and re-attached it the same way. They use short ratchet straps to pull the units up tight.
It was a tight squeeze in the bed for two and I had to remove the cupboard door knobs to enable the bed the bed to lay flat but it was a start. I have since then re-contoured the backs of the units and made them a lot narrower and they are now fixed together for good.
The rear cupboard doors would now not open due to the R &R bed but after making a lift up work top using concealed hinges,the rear unit now houses the top loader fridge, and all of the other services.
This highlights the need to think carefully about what conversion suits you best.
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”