Hi, and roofs.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

alan
Supreme Being

Re: Hi, and roofs.

Post by alan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:08 pm

there loads of in side pic here if it helps http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... our+inside
Furydav wrote:
briwy wrote:
weebrian wrote:Briwy,
Looks like the same JAL conversion that I have. The extra headroom is worth having, for sure.
Just out of interest, does your roof seat well down on the van, on the nearside, when lowered? Mine has a very small gap where the seal doesn't quite reach the roof .
Brian
No it doesn't Brian. Looking at it from the front the roof isn't quite central (only noticeable if you are looking for it). I think what has happened is that the roof is obviously made from a mould from an original Bongo roof and is put slightly to one side on the Mushroom roof to get the hinges on. I guess with a Skylift roof it's dead central.
Doesn't seem to be a problem, possibly lets any air out as well that's under the roof

Fellas this interests me as im considering buying one with this type of roof. is this lack of seating down likely to become an issue through time/ Do you have a photos ?

ta
take it easy drive a bongo
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Furydav wrote:
briwy wrote:
weebrian wrote:Briwy,
Looks like the same JAL conversion that I have. The extra headroom is worth having, for sure.
Just out of interest, does your roof seat well down on the van, on the nearside, when lowered? Mine has a very small gap where the seal doesn't quite reach the roof .
Brian
No it doesn't Brian. Looking at it from the front the roof isn't quite central (only noticeable if you are looking for it). I think what has happened is that the roof is obviously made from a mould from an original Bongo roof and is put slightly to one side on the Mushroom roof to get the hinges on. I guess with a Skylift roof it's dead central.
Doesn't seem to be a problem, possibly lets any air out as well that's under the roof

Fellas this interests me as im considering buying one with this type of roof. is this lack of seating down likely to become an issue through time/ Do you have a photos ?

ta
No, I don't see why it should be a problem at all. I think there are enough Mushroom roofs about now for it to have shown up if it was. It's merely a gap, the roof doesn't flap up and down or anything like that. Main thing is to make sure the holding down clips are fastened and at least the front one locked.
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Hello chaps,
I really am considering a JAL roof for my next and final Bongo, since I specifically want a manual opening roof. I love the sun roof and netting on the AFTs though, which I'll miss...

I'm sure I read on a post somewhere that people had fitted a sun roof (I guess like the AFT) to their Skylift/Mushroom roof? I tried to find the same post but no luck, maybe I'm imagining it.

Actually whilst on the subject...
The only reason I want a manual roof is because I'll mostly be opening and closing the roof a lot. For example, if I pull up somewhere and then decide to go for a run then it seems a hassle to turn the engine on JUST to close the roof again. Then doing the same to open the roof again when back. I guess I could maybe the leave roof up when locking it?

I'm mainly wondering whether it's any detriment to the Bongo to keep turning the engine on/off for such short amount of time?

Apologies for all of the questions :P
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:24 pm

digitalgypsy wrote:Hello chaps,
I really am considering a JAL roof for my next and final Bongo, since I specifically want a manual opening roof. I love the sun roof and netting on the AFTs though, which I'll miss...

I'm sure I read on a post somewhere that people had fitted a sun roof (I guess like the AFT) to their Skylift/Mushroom roof? I tried to find the same post but no luck, maybe I'm imagining it.

Actually whilst on the subject...
The only reason I want a manual roof is because I'll mostly be opening and closing the roof a lot. For example, if I pull up somewhere and then decide to go for a run then it seems a hassle to turn the engine on JUST to close the roof again. Then doing the same to open the roof again when back. I guess I could maybe the leave roof up when locking it?

I'm mainly wondering whether it's any detriment to the Bongo to keep turning the engine on/off for such short amount of time?

Apologies for all of the questions :P
No detriment really, because you only need the engine running for putting the roof up. So you pull into your alloted spot and put the roof up with engine still running. Later, when its time to put the roof down, you turn the ignition on but don't start the engine, and the roof will come down easily. The work and voltage required to get the roof down is a lot less demanding than that needed to get it up (like so many things :lol: ). My real reason for swapping an AFT for a manual roof would be that (in theory) the latter is much less of a liability on reliability. My AFT has cost £500 in repairs as I ended up having two new motors fitted - these are novel bits of engineering and they are getting old. Having said that, I think that with two news motors the problem may have been solved. Also, the manual roofs have their own issues perhaps with engineering quality, durability and their weight when it comes to operating them (I've head owners say). And anyway, a Bongo isn't quite a Bongo for me without the AFT - its a lovely thing. 8)
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Mike, that is some invaluable advice! Knowing that you can put the roof down just with ignition makes the WORLD of difference to me, definitely AFT all the way now. That also opens up my buying options ten fold. Muchas gracias :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 am

digitalgypsy wrote:Mike, that is some invaluable advice! Knowing that you can put the roof down just with ignition makes the WORLD of difference to me, definitely AFT all the way now. That also opens up my buying options ten fold. Muchas gracias :)
A pleasure. I wouldn't want to put you off manual roofs though. In theory, they should be attractive as being simpler and with less to go wrong. But I love the original AFT, and it is very well specced, even if it is more of a liability.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”