Replacment Suction Cups for Silver Screens

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Replacment Suction Cups for Silver Screens

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm

After five years of use the suction cups on my silver window screens have flattened out and no longer stick well. Can anybody tell me what is the technical name for this long handled type of suction cup? Also is there a good supplier preferably online. I would rather get a decent quality product than experiment from a pound shop. They get a lot of use and I am sick of screens detaching themselves from the windows at the first sign of sun, as they did at Southern Softies. Thanks in advance.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Replacment Suction Cups for Silver Screens

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:49 pm

New Forest Terrier wrote: They get a lot of use and I am sick of screens detaching themselves from the windows at the first sign of sun, as they did at Southern Softies. Thanks in advance.

move north mary,the problem will go away #-o #-o :wink:
Strange Brew
Bongonaut

Post by Strange Brew » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 am

I recently bought some 40mm screw cups from here. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suction-Cups- ... 2ec01160a9
The metal screw thread pushes through the foil easily on my home made silver screens, then just screw the plastic nut on.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:45 pm

A very light smear of silicone grease will rejuvenate all but the most distorted suckers. I've recently applied some to stop my tailgate screen falling off. For belt and braces, I've glued two short sections of plastic U channel to the card below the window to take most of the weight of the screen. All the suckers have to do is pull towards the glass.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:13 pm

I got a set of replacement suckers from Busy Outdoors. com in May 2010 for £9.95 including delivery and vat. They were bought as a replacement for the original suckers which came on my silver screens which were absolute rubbish, would not stick properly from day one. The replacement stickers worked a treat. Look for Universal Sucker pads for blinds in their website .

http://www.busyoutdoors.com/search/Univ ... a2=107&p=1

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks Tony. Those look absolutely perfect. I have ordered two sets to replace the full compliment of suckers all of which were feeble to start with and now compete to see which one comes unstuck first.

If these are as successful as the cooker switches you reccomended to me a few years ago I shall be doing very well indeed. It will be lovely not to have the rear silver screen falling on my feet every night.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”