V6 Problem - chuggy & wobbly!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MrColobus
Junior Bongonaut

V6 Problem - chuggy & wobbly!

Post by MrColobus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 am

Hello

Our 2001 V6 feels less smooth than it did when we first got it (end 2011).
Symptoms include:
Vehicle shakes slightly at idle, mostly when fan comes on and revs drop (never did this before)
A more 'chuggy' feel to the engine at around 1400-2000 revs.

We think we might have had a bit of a fuel blockage at one point which feels like it cleared itself, but it started around the same time so might be relevant.

I've briefly spoken to a friend who's a mechanic who has suggested it could be related to plugs/leads etc or an injection issue causing a problem with one of the cylinders which might cause this 'wobble' due to the way the V6 is mounted, but this was just a quick chat over beer and pizza, he didn't look at it at all!

I am going to get someone to give it a nose over but any suggestions to what it might be will be most welcome.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: V6 Problem - chuggy & wobbly!

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:14 am

I can confirm that a slight shake when idling after the vehicle has warmed up can be down to a poor or missing spark, as we had the problem recently. Its simple to check for, remove each plug connector and check the length of the insulator for any signs of tracking over the surface leading from the spark plug end. it will normally show itself quite clearly with carbonisation. Ours seemed to have been due to poorly tightened spark plugs, from a previous service - note that the plugs have a crushable washer so really shouldn't I understand be removed and replaced to often! We also had the rotor arm replaced as that was possibly showing signs of tracking as well, probably from the same cause.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MrColobus
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MrColobus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanking you, will check this week (Bongo not stored at home).
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:16 pm

The V6 electrics are a weak point, with the distributor at the front of the engine, nicely exposed to damp autumn mornings. Any fault in the system will show up at this time of year. Mine decided not to start on damp mornings a couple of years ago. The cause being a worn carbon finger in the distributor cap, Spark could jump in dry air but the gap was too big in moist conditions. The HT leads also need to be in tip top condition or all sorts of misfires follow.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
MrColobus
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MrColobus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:16 am

I've had a look, one lead looks a bit burnt down the side and another was covered in fuel when I removed it! I assume the plug's seal has gone or it's loose.

No one at work has the right size plug socket so get my own and sort over the weekend.
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:33 pm

Do you mean on the end of the ht lead where the end connects to the spark plug,

IF SO :!:

Can't see it being fuel [-o< cylinder one by any chance :?:

poss rocker cover gasket seeping oil into the plug well,, will cause miss fire eventually, may explain the rough running :wink: it also kills the rubber end of your lead over time, i spent a fair while mopping mine out with toilet roll :D . number two in my case collects water aswell :roll:

not saying any of these are what your prob is just going on my past ventures :roll:

Dar
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
MrColobus
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MrColobus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am

Firstly it's not fuel, it's oil! :oops: Mate who had a look first said fuel for some reason..!

If by cyclinder 1 you mean back one on drivers side then yes. However it is a very small amount, and very clean looking. My manager (we're a bit work light at the moment!) suggested that someone may have been a crap aim when putting the oil in and a small abount has run down the port! Due to the restricted access because of the convertion, the angle you would be pouring makes this quite plausable. I've cleaned it up and will keep an eye on it.

Regarding the HT leads as soon as I changed them it run like new! Way way smoother, bugger knows how much fuel I've been hammering.... :o

Thanks for all the comments =D>
minidaz123
Bongolier

Post by minidaz123 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Ours ( also a V6 ) has been having similar problems, so a handy post to find and read through.

Think some new HT leads will be the first thing to get and try.

Daz
MrColobus
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MrColobus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 am

Ours is still running great with the new leads and plugs. I think the plugs were fine but as it was only a few squid extra I did them anyway. Hope this sorts your out too.
Chris-W
Bongolier

Post by Chris-W » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Sounds like the spark plugs to me, I just had the very same symptoms on an old Impreza WRX, two of the plugs were so worn there was no electrode ! Changed the plugs (and leads) and it runs very nice.

Return to “Techie Stuff”