Low voltage to roof motors

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

roosmith
Tribal Elder

Low voltage to roof motors

Post by roosmith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:25 pm

With a lull in the rain today I've been out fiddling with the roof motors. I have an issue where they sound as if they're struggling, the roof gets so far then just stops - the beeps keep on going. I've tried giving some assistance from inside and it will go most of the way up but not completely as the beeps still go on to say it's not fully up (however the tent does feel pretty tight). I've gone through previous discussions on here and checked the obvious - I've greased the rails, taken the motors off and greased (and tried a spare motor), to no avail. The cause of this has to be the low voltage though, as when the motors are operating they are only showing between 7-8v. I've checked the handbrake switch, filed it clean and added copper slip but still around 8v. Any ideas what this might be? I've checked the connectors at the back of the roof itself and it all seems ok.
If I were to take both motors off, am I likely to do damage if I try opening and closing it manually? Could it be, that the motors have been incorrectly mounted at some time and the worm drives are at the end of their travel? And where is that sensor to shut off the beeping when it's fully up?!

Thanks one and all in advance!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Low voltage to roof motors

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:14 pm

The limit switch for fully raised is at the rear operated by the travel arm itself, they are known to go out of adjustment usually because they are operated by a little push rod and a strip of metal that can bend see the pictures here http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 46#p508046
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:27 pm

You are lifting the roof with the engine on ?
Lost without my Bongo.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Double check your multimeter is working correctly by sticking it across the main battery with the engine running and check you're getting somewhere in the region of 13 - 14 volts. Roof motors often struggle a bit at the very last bit and it's not usual to need to give it a helping hand with the last bit.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 pm

daveblueozzie wrote:You are lifting the roof with the engine on ?
Good question Dave
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:13 am

Also clean the fuse blades and fuseholders they can get corroded
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:53 am

Simon Jones wrote:Double check your multimeter is working correctly by sticking it across the main battery with the engine running and check you're getting somewhere in the region of 13 - 14 volts. Roof motors often struggle a bit at the very last bit and it's not usual to need to give it a helping hand with the last bit.
Yep, meter is reading 13.8v on the battery, so all good in that respect.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
daveblueozzie wrote:You are lifting the roof with the engine on ?
Good question Dave
With the engine on, yes, and when I discovered the low voltage I've tried it with increased revs as well - no difference however.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:21 am

The slowness you describe is not unusual in ageing Bongos. I ended up having two new motors fitted. But it sounds like you might have low voltage being supplied. I use Adrian at Japan Direct (0161-763-3003) in Bury, and he's done a lot of Bongo roofs. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you calling him to see if can advise.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 am

check the output from the control unit,behind inside rear offside panel, small box held in place with 10mm nut, ive seen cars do this and just unplugging and replugging the unit solves it due to poor connector contacts, if not you'll have a better idea if the voltage problem isfurther back that the motors. unplug and check voltage on the box pins

Julian

Return to “Techie Stuff”