Teeny, tiny coolant leak...fix now or safe to wait?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ffrank
Bongonaut

Re: Teeny, tiny coolant leak...fix now or safe to wait?

Post by ffrank » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:16 am

had same leak...undone hoseclip where leak was at...let clip slip down hose out of way...dont try to remove hose...just fit new jubilee clip where origonal hose clip was and tighten up well... frank r4dka
ffrank
Bongonaut

Post by ffrank » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:18 am

no need to bleed system so long as level not dropped in res bottle frank r4dka
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Better still to get a proper Mazda hose clip which is more perfectly round than a jubilee clip so does the job better.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:03 pm

you could have a coolantalarm by first post Tues and they take less than a hour to fit
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Waynem325
Bongonaut

Post by Waynem325 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:06 am

haydn callow wrote:you could have a coolantalarm by first post Tues and they take less than a hour to fit
Thanks Haydn.
We're due to leave first thing Monday so can't order till we're back :(

We did get to 321 Away this morning and met Eva and Julian. What lovely people they are! I'm so glad we made the effort to get there and so grateful they allowed me to bring the Bongo in at short notice.
They both took time to ease my worry and after Julian explained his experience with Bongo's they put it on the ramp and showed me round the under carriage of my fast-becoming-pride-and-joy! (Or 'Rust-Bucket' as it shall be known for now!)

I do indeed have a coolant leak, but not just where I suspected it but also underneath the drivers seat. (So thorough was Julian's examination!). Unfortunately parts weren't readily available so I've booked in for next weekend, along with a timing belt change. The second leak is not so much a leak but a worn hose. It must have several miniscule holes that don't so much drip but are enough to wet the the hose surface. That particular hose is beginning to bulge, which will eventually rupture.

Around the same area Julian saw the remnants of a past or present diesel leak, but without further examination the actual leak couldn't be localised. And it appears there may be an aircon leak, but again without further testing nothing can be done.

.....All in good time!

Between here and there and back again (100 ish miles) the coolant level hasn't dropped. Monday is still on. I will be stopping several times en-route and keeping an eager eye on the temp gauge and coolant level. We have breakdown cover so all 'should' be okay...?

Now I've just gotta sort this damn heater fan!!! :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”