Oil leak mystery

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Nippon Tuck
Bongolier

Oil leak mystery

Post by Nippon Tuck » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:29 pm

I have oil that appears to be coming from this large pipe just behind the slim one.. It's an air pipe, isn't it?
Is this common?, I can't see any oil leaking from higher up onto the pipe, I have no noticeable drop in oil level either..
The top of the pipe is coated. What causes this?

ImageImage
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Oil leak mystery

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Most likely EGR. The pipe you've indicated is the air intake hose (from intercooler, in turn from turbo). The metal 'elbow' connects to the inlet manifold. On the top, there should be a diamond shaped connection for the EGR. That joint is prone to leaking.

Is there a pipe (about 3/4") connected to this that travels along near the top of the engine and disappears towards the back? Or is there a blanking plate?

Suggest you give the area a good degrease/wipe down and see what happens.

A great deal of my oil was coming from a loose head B bolt, causing oil to spray upwards and dripping back down. Check this bolt for presence and tightness (though no spanners! [-X )

Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Nippon Tuck
Bongolier

Post by Nippon Tuck » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at the EGR for a few days and will blank it off as it appears to be the root of all the leaks I am experiencing.

What do you mean by 'no spanners'?
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:30 pm

The bolt I pointed you two was an issue for me - unlikely so for you but thought I'd mention it. If it ain't broke, and all that. You wouldn't want to strip a head bolt thread. ;) :oops: :roll:

[Edit] Blanking the EGR is commonly done and I think in general the folk on here are pro-blanking. Consider, though, that you could remove/clean/replace the EGR/inlet manifold, restoring the EGR gasket to prevent further leaks - ie blanking is only one option, though it's the one I and many others have taken. ;)
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:49 pm

i have been on the fence for blanking the egr off for several years now, until recently, the other day i was working on a late (T reg) diesel bongo and heard my first egr WORKING. i must have been under the bonnet of maybe 40 different bongo's and this was a first, including the 2 we own, that i can confirm was working.
with this in mind i wondered do they fail open or blocked off ?? maybe they all fail one way or randomly.
this may affect the oil residue that is found at these joints on some but not others, if they fail open they must be open when the engine is cold and running rich/not burning efficiently etc, this wouldput oil reidue into the air, if they fail shut no problems may be noted.

any thoughts before i dissect the spare valve i have in the shed.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:05 pm

I have wondered if the oily fumey smell I notice on my V6 on cold mornings is EGR related. Its totally temperature related, cold mornings and a cold engine. Really only noticable during the long reverse up my drive and in the winter. Gone at the first sign of Spring and will be back with the frosts. No obvious oil leak, seals look OK and it does not use oil.

Geoff has the same problem with his V6 and as far as I know has not found the cause either.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 am

I believe ours is caused by the Cam seals which leak, like a lot of V6's, the oil then runs down the inclined engine and drops onto the hot exhaust at the rear, then if we reverse or of the wind is blowing in the right direction when we stop/pause at lights junctions the smell gets wafted into the cabin air intakes. It got very bad this winter including spotting oil drips and we were planning on a major service and replacing all the seals etc. but dandywarhol suggested the Forte oil seal liquid and I have to say its done an excellent job and effectively taken us back a couple of years to when it was only a minor problem. Now we are waiting to see how long it lasts! I sourced the tubes off Ebay, one is sufficient but having had an oil change used a second one after that.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Nippon Tuck
Bongolier

Post by Nippon Tuck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:05 pm

I have looked for pictures of the process of blanking off the EGR but to no avail. I have learned that the EGR system has parts on both sides of the engine.

Can anyone offer pics to help me with this. I am up for the challenge of removing this goo-maker.
New S Wales 2010
Bongonaut

Post by New S Wales 2010 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:39 pm

If you want to blank off your EGR Allan's in Plymouth sells a pair of blanking plates for £12 with detailed diy fitting instructions.

http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk/

I found by using an offset 12 mm ring spanner I could even fit the plate under the valve without taking out the air filter assembly.

Return to “Techie Stuff”