HELP: new reversing sensors beeping when they shouldn't

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

HELP: new reversing sensors beeping when they shouldn't

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 am

OK, once you've all had a good laugh, can anyone help me with this. My DIY fitted reversing sensors beep when in reverse even when no obstacle is behind me. On one occasion, they stopped beeping when I stepped out of the van. In the main though they just do it when they shouldn't. When I first fitted them they seemed fine but unfortunately I had trapped the n/s sensor wire when refitting my towbar (which I had had off for another reason) so that quickly became u/s and the o/s sensor started beeping when it felt like it. I bought a generic one off ebay and fitted it, but the problem persisted. Both sensors work ok, but the system beeps randomly when it shouldn't. Any thoughts on what might be causing it and what I might do (it feels like capacitance build up but I'm no leccie techie). ANyone had an issue like this before?

I've posted separately about faintly glowing interior light LEDS that shouldn't. Any possibility the issues might be linked?

Grateful for any thoughts and thanks chums. 8)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: HELP: new reversing sensors beeping when they shouldn't

Post by helen&tony » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:48 am

Hi Mike
Don't laugh, but I have heard some models of reversing bleeper are actually set off by tow-balls...perhaps yours is one? Could you fit them on the front, and get another make for the rear, after checking whether they are set off by the tow-hitch?
Just a thought :wink:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:50 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi Mike
Don't laugh, but I have heard some models of reversing bleeper are actually set off by tow-balls...perhaps yours is one? Could you fit them on the front, and get another make for the rear, after checking whether they are set off by the tow-hitch?
Just a thought :wink:
Cheers
Helen
Hmmm yes, I do have a towball. V annoying to have to buy and fit another kit (the 1st one cost me all of £14) and how would I know if I'm buying a good one or not. I have sensors on hte front already - they are the FDB brand and go kaboinggggg when they contact something hard :lol: :lol: 8)
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:00 pm

If you think the tow ball might be causeing the trouble why not just take the ball hitch off for a few days only 2 bolts.

Well only 2 on mine.

Steve
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi Mike
I have that sort on the rear...park it by ear sensor , which is dang good at hitching caravans and trailers to! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:23 pm

I fitted a cheap set, beeps at anything. One side is always beeping - probably the tow bar. Found myself reversing near things to see if it would work. Realised how godd the reversing mirror is and rely on that now. Just means that we pack about 5 less suitcases to see out the rear window now :D
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:43 pm

You should have gone for a reversing camera like mine Mike. Got it off ebay from Hong Kong so it did not cost an arm and a leg. It is a wired system so is more reliable, Dave_ Aber fixed it up for me at last years Scottish Bash. Changes from rear mirror to camera monitor screen when you engage reverse gear. I was showing it off to Big Daddy et all at Gibralter Farm last year, they thought that it was the bees knees.

Tony

Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
maxmataz
Bongolier

Post by maxmataz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:36 pm

[quote="MountainGoat"]You should have gone for a reversing camera like mine Mike. Got it off ebay from Hong Kong so it did not cost an arm and a leg. It is a wired system so is more reliable, Dave_ Aber fixed it up for me at last years Scottish Bash. Changes from rear mirror to camera monitor screen when you engage reverse gear. I was showing it off to Big Daddy et all at Gibralter Farm last year, they thought that it was the bees knees.

Tony

Now that looks mighty impressive - don't suppose you know the name of said Ebayer - if I could get an extra 5 suitcases in the back that would be swell :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi
Yes, they're pretty good...I use a similar device combined in a rear-view mirror as a forward cam for overtaking...operated on a footswitch Colin ( who has just sold his Bongo) got it from Hong Kong, and forwarded it!...customs over here would be too easily confused with a Hong Kong parcel :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:58 pm

You might find Mike that there is a power/sensitivity control in the unit ? If one unit has been replaced it may be taking less drive from the output and leaving the other one over driven and causing the problem.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Mine was from a company called Boboparts.com from HongKong, email [email protected]. Don't know if they are still around.

What I got in July 2010 was an OQ wide angle car rear view reversing camera for £20.19 and a OQ car 10.2 LCD TFT rear view mirror color monitor for £52.51 but they also had 7" ones.

Exact models apprear to have changed so today you could take your pick from this lot, http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trkpa ... 581&_pgn=2

and this lot, http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=L ... m270.l1313

As I said in my post from reports wired systems appear to be more reliable than wireless systems, so I screwed the camera to the high level stop lamp and passed the wires into the bongo inside the gromet with the existing wires to prevent damage. (awkward job) Then tucked the wiring in between the wall and roof linings behind my side conversion until I was half way to the front of the bongo. Dave_Aber did the rest. I took my rear spoiler off temporally to make fitting the camera to the high level light easier, this is an easy job.

Good Luck

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:28 pm

g8dhe wrote:You might find Mike that there is a power/sensitivity control in the unit ? If one unit has been replaced it may be taking less drive from the output and leaving the other one over driven and causing the problem.

Thanks Geoff, that's a really useful tip (as always from you) and I'll follow it up.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I love the reversing camera but its dearer, requires more fuss and space for installation, and I was keen on a device that didn't increase my visual scanning workload. The reversing mirror is pretty good but the problem comes when you distracted and/or can't identify the obstacle (as with the slender straight edged column that escaped my visual radar in an underground car park :-(
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:19 pm

I have reverse sensors fitted on my bongo and mondeo. Make sure they are not picking up the ground. If they are picking up the towball, rotate them 90 degrees to the outside and see if that works. Worked for me on the mondeo. If there is a dot on the sensor this should go to the top. Toyota rotate them on the Rav 4 when there is a rear mounted spare wheel.

Do what you like.Like what you do.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Excellent Stuc, i'll check that too. Don't recall a dot though they are angled and with a sort of raised lip on one half.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Just to add, usually the wires would come in directly from the bottom.
Do what you like.Like what you do.

Return to “Techie Stuff”