Coolant Loss

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jimpearceuk
Bongolier

Coolant Loss

Post by jimpearceuk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:21 pm

With so many knowledgeable people on here I was looking for some quick coolant loss advise ...

Had my Bongo for 18 months so far been great! I have the engine saver temp and low coolant gadgets fitted from Hayden.

I went to start up yesterday and the low coolant alarm tested and then stayed on - I immediatly switched off and when I looked the level had dropped to just below the screw - I topped up the header with about a 300ml's. Proves the gadget is invaluable, I would never have known or checked as I used it for a long drive the day before.

I have not checked today but I think it is seaping out when she is cold?

Now my question - where so I start to look? any places that are obvious to check? and how? from where? reading on here there is so much advise but what I need to do is just see for myself, then I assume it's off to 321Away?

Thanks Jim
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant Loss

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Sadly there are loads of places it could be leaking from. Reading through some of the countless threads already here will help 8)
Run the engine up to temperature, so that the system is pressurised, and have a good search around the engine hoses. Also check the top of the radiator, as the seal goes where the header tank and matrix meet.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm

I had been losing a small quantity of coolant but......I have just replaced the radiator cap on the top of the header tank and..... problem solved. Thats the place to start if there is no obvious puddle!
Ian G
maxmataz
Bongolier

Post by maxmataz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 pm

fatcatlawyer wrote:I had been losing a small quantity of coolant but......I have just replaced the radiator cap on the top of the header tank and..... problem solved. Thats the place to start if there is no obvious puddle!
Ian G
Funny I have similar but cannot see any signs of a drip, tried the dye didn't see anything I am losing probably 25mls a week, not a lot. Well on my trip to Bulgaria it needed 150ml but it was a very long trip in very hot weather. It lost nothing on the way back beginning of Aug 2011. somewhere just before Xmas needed another small amount then two weeks ago it needed 250-300ml & since then it has gone from just above the full line to the bottom of the full line. I have checked oil - no signs there, checked exhaust for water nothing there either - any clues, do I leave it or have it pressure tested - I am due another very long trip in about 3 weeks (should I start my own post) :oops:
jimpearceuk
Bongolier

Post by jimpearceuk » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:05 pm

I do get the odd wiff of radiator curry smell! Mine only seems to leek when its cold, overnight but just checked and its as it was.

This does sound like a job for radweld as it must be such a small hole.
Thanks for the comments, so much info on here about it but seems so many potentials for leakage its a proper pain in the beep.
Jim
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:21 pm

Coolant expands and contracts with temperature changes and is also known to drop slightly during the colder months. Team MHO in Japan have done some evaluation on coolants and they are used to seeing coolant drop from the max to min levels over the coolant lifespan. Obviously header tanks have different volumes of coolant from Low to High, most seem to be around 300ml and some are mere expansion tanks and some are degassing tanks.

If the cooling system is working correctly, there should be next to no evaporation. If you find your coolant level dropping outside of the full marks, suspect a coolant leak.
On your Bongo check all the usual suspects for leaks as well as the water pump...that can leak (weep) and the coolant loss be "caught" in the undertray. So that wont leave a puddle on the ground.
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Techie Stuff”