Battery issues

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Printer
Bongonaut

Battery issues

Post by Printer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi guys

I got my van fully serviced not long ago, had the cooling system fully bled and replaced, replaced all the glow plugs and other bits and pieces. At the time I had trouble with the alternator but mechanic didn't think it needed replacing, he just cleaned all round it and it seemed to working perfectly again.

Everything was great for a while but even quite soon after the full service I still had to give the glow plugs 2 blasts in the morning to avoid getting loads of smoke from exhaust (I was told on here that with new glow plugs that wouldnt keep happening).

Since then I have had some issues with the battery running down really quickly. I had to get AA out to restart it once so I took it into a place that put one of those battery testers on it and they said it seemed fine, it was holding a charge etc.

Over Christmas I left it in a body repair place to get some rust work done. When I picked it up they said they had some issues with battery running down but it "seems fine now and is holding a charge no problem". That was a few days ago, this morning it was sluggish getting started even after blasting glow plugs 3 times. This evening after work, it wouldnt start. All the lights, coolant alarm etc all came on but battery wouldn't start.

So...

Any ideas?
Do I need a new battery?
Why do I still get the grey smoke from exhaust if I don't blast glowplugs 2-3 times even though they are new?
Could there be some light or something on somewhere that is running the battery down?
Could it have something to do with the leisure battery - even though I'm pretty sure I have that switched off?

Would appreciate your thoughts... getting a bit tired of all the money I am spending on my Bongo now...
scanner
Supreme Being

Re: Battery issues

Post by scanner » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Have you tried giving the battery a long slow charge?
maviczap

Post by maviczap » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Go to a battery shop and get them to test both batteries, they'll quickly be able to diagnose if one is on its way out.

If the alternator is on the way out, it could cause this, I've just replaced mine with a new one. But the sediment light & charge light will illuminate and not go out with the engine running, if the alternator is goosed.

Once I'd changed the alternator my problems stopped
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm

I agree with scanner - give the battery a good charge with a charger - at least 24 hours.
Some radios can cause a discharge which flattens a battery slowly - sadly, I don't know why, but it has been on here several times.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Printer
Bongonaut

Post by Printer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Ok thanks guys, if I just drive the van for an hour or so will that give it a long enough charge? How do I give it a "slow charge", do I need special equipment for this? I'll just have to try jumping it in morning.

What do I do about the radio if that is the issue, will this not just keep happening to me?
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Printer wrote:Ok thanks guys, if I just drive the van for an hour or so will that give it a long enough charge? How do I give it a "slow charge", do I need special equipment for this? I'll just have to try jumping it in morning.

What do I do about the radio if that is the issue, will this not just keep happening to me?
Firstly the alternator will give (if it's working OK) a quick fast charge - not what you really want.

For a long slow "deep" charge you need a fairly low (2-4) amp mains battery charger, as a high amps one will give a fast charge just like the alternator.
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:16 am

As for a suitable battery charger lidl have them from the 19th @£12.99
maviczap

Post by maviczap » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:52 am

longhaul8 wrote:As for a suitable battery charger lidl have them from the 19th @£12.99
Yep, bought one last time, its very versatile 6 - 12v bike & car
Tomo 53
Bongolier

Post by Tomo 53 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 pm

[quote="Printer"]Hi guys

I got my van fully serviced not long ago, had the cooling system fully bled and replaced, replaced all the glow plugs and other bits and pieces. At the time I had trouble with the alternator but mechanic didn't think it needed replacing, he just cleaned all round it and it seemed to working perfectly again.

Everything was great for a while but even quite soon after the full service I still had to give the glow plugs 2 blasts in the morning to avoid getting loads of smoke from exhaust (I was told on here that with new glow plugs that wouldnt keep happening).

Since then I have had some issues with the battery running down really quickly. I had to get AA out to restart it once so I took it into a place that put one of those battery testers on it and they said it seemed fine, it was holding a charge etc.

Over Christmas I left it in a body repair place to get some rust work done. When I picked it up they said they had some issues with battery running down but it "seems fine now and is holding a charge no problem". That was a few days ago, this morning it was sluggish getting started even after blasting glow plugs 3 times. This evening after work, it wouldnt start. All the lights, coolant alarm etc all came on but battery wouldn't start.

So...

Any ideas?
Do I need a new battery?
Why do I still get the grey smoke from exhaust if I don't blast glowplugs 2-3 times even though they are new?
Could there be some light or something on somewhere that is running the battery down?
Could it have something to do with the leisure battery - even though I'm pretty sure I have that switched off?

Would appreciate your thoughts... getting a bit tired of all the money I am spending on my Bongo now...[/quote

check that the glow plug rail is not touching earth after new plugs where fitted :| and are the new plugs working
Tomo
Printer
Bongonaut

Post by Printer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi guys

Im living in Ireland so don't think I can get that Lidl charger here but I will try and get my hands on one. As for glow plugs I will try and get it checked.

Thanks guys. Any ideas on this issue of the radio running the battery down? How could I check this out?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:36 pm

test the glow plug resistance readings, they can be tested in place, but with the rail removed and engine cold. put a ohm meter red terminal to the top centre of the plug, and the black to an earth point next to where the plug fits and measure the resistance, at 20deg c the reading should be about 0.9. less if its warmer.
what your aiming at is 4 all reading the same.
make sure the nuts are set at the correct torque settings, as loose or slack nuts can affect them.

alternators can fail in different ways get your meter on it and see what its producing on tick over with no lights/heater on, then put lights heater on, then rev it and see iff its responding to the increased load. if you have an ameter test the amps its putting out too.

quick test for a drain on your battery is to gently remove the red on the starter batt (make sure its well vented and not just been on charge :shock: ) and look for a spark/drain, if its dark you can sometimes see it or hear it. if you put your meter between the lead and terminal you can measure the drain,

Return to “Techie Stuff”