Haydn Coolant Alarm won't stop beeping

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

IanSheffield
Apprentice Bongonaut

Haydn Coolant Alarm won't stop beeping

Post by IanSheffield » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Hello my hopefully knowledgeable fellow Bongoers. I'm quite new to this Bongoing lark but was very diligent before I bought back in July this year and afterwards, having had the old girl in for a service, new cambelt, exhaust, brakes and discs, have benefitted from Kloonsy's expert work replacing the rear arches (which look fantastic, I can't recommend his work highly enough =D> ) and of course fitted one of Haydn's low coolant alarms.

All has been fine and dandy up until the last couple of days when it won't stop beeping. I've been checking the coolant levels after each run (once it's cooled down obviously) and nothing appears to be leaking out - the levels are still above the screw in sensor. But the beeping just won't stop. It's been manageable for relatively short runs but it's really not great for the ears for any length of time, and of course, I won't know if there really is a problem as it will just keep on beeping!

Anyone got any ideas as to how to solve it? Thanks in advance, Ian.
Dabs
Supreme Being

Re: Haydn Coolant Alarm won't stop beeping

Post by Dabs » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Is the coolant up to strength? I think I am correct in saying weak coolant can cause false alarms.....I stand to be corrected on that!! Also make sure the screws are clean that are into the expansion tank
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Look here ..

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 43&t=38497

As a Chrissy present .. none members can access info sheets for a short time ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 pm

1..have you recently changed your coolant ?
2..is the screw/terminal loose on the header tank?
3..get a 2 foot length of "any old" wire and remove 1cm of insulation from each end...touch one end to the screw head and the other end to earth....that should shut the alarm up and proves the alarm is o.k. and you either have a loose connection/joint on the wire that runs from the tank to the bullet connector at the alarm unit..or..the screw in the tank has become coated in gunge..If you use a volt meter switch on the ignition and measure the voltage between the screw head and earth....1.5 volts is good....more than 2 means a dirty screw.....I can send you one...

The fact that the alarm is sounding 99% proves that the alarm unit is o.k.

If you carn't fix it let me know and in the meantime if the 2 foot length of wire shuts it up ..leave it in situ.
Last edited by haydn callow on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 pm

In addition to Haydns response . . . .

It happened to me in the summer. By chance we were at the Big Bash at the time & Haydn was there.

All mine needed was a fresh stainless steel screw in the lead from the header tank as the old 'un had become covered in crud.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
IanSheffield
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by IanSheffield » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks to all, and to Haydn for his call. Will try the suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Return to “Techie Stuff”