Where did that oil come from?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Where did that oil come from?

Post by Cosmic Bus » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 pm

All has been well of late, but noticed today after Bongo was moved further down the drive, that it seems a puddle of oil about a foot in diameter has come from somewhere.

I can see a drip from the bottom of the undertray so first thought the small well has filled up. Was all fine yesterday before I moved it back under the carport.

Have felt all round the oil filter with a tissue, and nothing fresh there, just a bit of grime. Gave it a very small nip up, I dare say I moved it 3mm at best.

Before I get the spanners out and drop the under tray does anyone have any clues? It's a bit difficult to see but I can't tell if the sump gasket is leaking. Seems a bit of an unusual thing to happen surely?

Have done a search and all I could reall come up with was this but I'm not sure it's the problem I have.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... t=0#p90134
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Where did that oil come from?

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Do a search on oil and leak, there'll be hundreds of threads :wink: Never heard of a sump gasket leaking on a bongo, wouldn't panic just yet, a small amount of oil can go a long way, not that unusual tbh.
Could be diesel from leaking fuel pump seals/perished hoses (mixing with the crappy stuff on the bottom tray before dripping off) power steering fluid, gearbox oil, diff oil, engine oil.
Check all your levels to see what, if anything has dropped, get the bottom trays off, clean everything off & see what's leaking, most are relatively simple fixes.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:04 pm

I'll check the fuel seals Kirsty. I did them earlier in the year I think or end of last. I don't remember the leak causing the look of spill to be as black last time tbh, and counted them out as all was well leak wise after repair.

Def got me thinking now, as I was only thinking that after a full brim and 275k I'm somewhere between quarter and half tank, more to quarter and was expecting more. Not done re-brim yet. Possibly related, it's not like all journeys have been short, though most lately have just been short runs into town.

I'll look tomorrow on the drivers side.
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I had a leaking camshaft oil seal earlier this month on my 2.5 diesel £4 for the seal £280 in labour to fit it #-o best thing to do is to remove the undertray and clean off the engine with clutch and brake cleaner ( not fluid ) then park it over some clean cardboard so that you can see exactly where the leak is coming from, my leak was running down the front drivers side of the engine block, keep us posted :wink:
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Checked the fuel seals tonight, nothing from there. Can't see any fuel leaking so ruling that outfit now. Def hoping its not a cam seal ...

I tried taking some pics but time was against me, and kinda difficult to get the camera in. Above the sump line if you like all looks pretty clean, can't really see the front but the bolt heads on the sump at the rear have what looks like fresh oil on them, but not all.

I also checked the gearbox level and here comes a worry. Nothing on it bar a couple of clear drops (looks like moisture, not oil like), I went through the box and checked it in P, which is correct I think?, nadda.

I wonder if this explains my clutch slip sound and fuel consumption (not measured). Last time I checked, admittedly a year ago level was fine and nothing to indicate a sudden drop on the deck.

Hope the weather holds out on the weekend to drop that undertray. Oh, engine oil level ok btw and no significant drops afaik.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 pm

Check the gearbox fluid level with a warm box ...

Move the lever through the full range several times ... hand brake on ... lever in park then check the fluid level with the engine running ..

On my Toyota the rear oil leaked from the gearbox / prop shaft seal... but that left a cherry red oil residue on the drive ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Hopefully mystery solved. Decided to take her for a run to get some good temp in, primarily for the gearbox. Well that looks very clear but is just a shade under minimum.

Gave it a couple of hours and got the torch out. Can now see a drip forming under the oil filter. Turbo hose looks like it has had a fine spray of oil too. Not really sure why it has collected around the sump 'seam' as it were.

Never had this happen with a filter before, going to have to take it off now and see it if has any split in it, though more likely against the mating surface. Even though I wiped it clean and put a film of fresh round the gasket perhaps I've got something trapped. Sure hope so.

The filter is a Phram PH355 (think that's the right number, one for a Bongo anyway), guess I bought the Friday afternoon one.

Will also remember I'll lose almost a litre when I take the filter off and check level accordingly :lol: :oops:
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Well I didn't notice this when I put it on, but got it replaced and I had lost the reciept :), but I reckon this had been going on for a while and sloshed out with a slight sloping drive and (maybe) violent movement from Mrs. Cosmic lol.

Hopefully that's the end to the story, I was going to say something about checking rubbers and leaks, but, well ...
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Well this liitle issue has raised it's head again. Had a replacement filter, same make and part No.(Fram PH6355). The same thing has happened with the seal. Is this something I have done?? The seal was fine before I put the replacement on. Too tight?

Have now bought a Comline CMB11321 (which I notice is slighter less in length than the Fram) so lets see where I get to with this.
Driving me nuts it is...
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi Cosmic Bus,

It would be worthwhile having the oil pressure checked,it could be a sticky by-pass valve/balance valve problem.If possible keeping the OP gauge fitted for a few days to monitor the system.

Cheers.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Looks like what happens if you don't lubricate the seal before fitting the filter :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:37 pm

francophile1947 wrote:Looks like what happens if you don't lubricate the seal before fitting the filter :?
It can be..... I usually fill filters with fresh oil and smear the seal with the fresh oil...... not always possible due to filter location as on some Nissan's..... but Bongo isn't a problem...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:01 pm

I smeared the seal with oil, on each filter. Not sure I like the sound of this sticking valve business though....

Hopefully this new one should be ok, seal was not as wide on the Comline filter as it was on the Fram. After a run today, no filter drips so time will tell, fingers crossed etc etc ...
Cosmic Bus
Bongolier

Post by Cosmic Bus » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Well what do you know .... kept a rough eye on this over the last couple of weeks. Still getting a leak from underside of the filter. I haven't taken it off yet to check the seal. As I said before, I don't think I've ever had this issue before with an oil filter.

What's involved in this bypass/balance valve business that teenmal mentioned? Sounds expensive ...

Return to “Techie Stuff”