Lumpy starting

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Stew71
Bongonaut
Location: Portsmouth - proud home of the southernmost motorway in the UK. And some ships.

Lumpy starting

Post by Stew71 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:46 am

Hello all

Our 2.5D Bongo has recently become a bit temperamental on starting. It hasn't yet failed to start, but takes its time and seems lumpy/sluggish for a few seconds - as if I'd started it without waiting for the glowplug light to go out (not that I've ever done this, of course... well, just the once). This happens whether it's cold or warmed up.

[The following might be related, or perhaps not - it has also stalled twice recently, and occasionally had trouble pulling away (as if in too high a gear). However we've had the van a couple of years now, and this has very occasionally happened before - only a handful of times in total though. Once or twice I've averted a likely stall by dropping from D to L or S. Sometimes the Hold light comes on with this fault, but then when the ignition is switched off and on again it's been ok.]

Lisa mentioned the sediment light had been on so I spent a couple of hours a few days ago trying (unsuccessfully) to drain the fuel filter (couldn't shift the nozzle in the end, like trying to undo a tight lid with your fingertips and arms outstretched. How do people do this?!). I located and checked the banjo filter and that was clear. We have tended to run it pretty low on fuel lately so we wondered if there could be a simple issue like that.

When I ran it last night, there were no dash lights staying on anyway (and L isn't sure if the sediment light had come on before or after a stall). As you might be able to tell, I'm not especially mechanically knowlegeable or skilled, so are there any very simple checks I might do to try and locate/fix the problem?)

Also, wondering whether locals can point us in the direction of a Bongo-friendly garage? The database has a couple of Portsmouth-ish garages on there but I don't know how up-to-date that might be. I've had a positive report of Mainly Mazda (Burgess Road, Southampton), any others? We have the van serviced at Allan's in Plymouth, but it'd be a long way to drive or transport it if needed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Stew
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Re: Lumpy starting

Post by wonkanoby » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:59 am

reads like you need new glowplugs to me
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:55 am

Start with the basics first, as wonkanoby said new glow plugs.
You said you ran low on fuel, change the fuel filter, clean the banjo filter on the pump.
When you change the fuel filter, fill the filter up with injector cleaning fluid first.
Some times you get a vacuum in the fuel tank and that can make the bongo stall,do you hear a suction when you take the fuel cap off, might be worth checking the that the fuel cap is clean, sounds daft but wash the fuel cap ,to clean the vent hole.
Lost without my Bongo.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 am

As you've had a sediment light on, I'd say first suspect is fuel filter & check for leaks while you're at it, then start looking at glow plugs, maybe give them a bit longer before starting.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:31 pm

My van always starts first turn of the key after i have let the plugs heat up and even tho i replaced the glow plugs last autumn sometimes she starts a bit lumpy with a little bit of unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust via white smoke but i have noticed that if i do a long journey in the ole girls then she starts just fine for a couple of weeks before sometimes starting a little bit lumpy, i just wonder whether short journeys don't suit the bongo ?
bawgixer
Bongonaut

Post by bawgixer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:30 pm

My bongo was doing the same last week,really struggling to start in morning,when it did start there was a good cough out the exhaust pipe then very shakey idle for few moments.
Since yesterdays service and new glow plugs fitted its back to smoke free smooth idle 1st time starting.
Stew71
Bongonaut
Location: Portsmouth - proud home of the southernmost motorway in the UK. And some ships.

Post by Stew71 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it's a very helpful forum!

So, likely culprits are fuel filter and/or glowplugs.

As the filter is £15 and a set of glowplugs is £67, think I'll try the filter first (any hot tips on getting the drain plug undone? I've been trying to turn it clockwise as I look from the top/above, that is right isn't it? And as per the factsheet, looks as though it's best to move a couple of other bits to access/remove the filter itself). Is there any way of testing the glowplugs or just a question of replacing them and seeing if it does the trick?

As for our very occasional stalling just after startup - might this be related to all these things too?
daveblueozzie wrote:Some times you get a vacuum in the fuel tank and that can make the bongo stall,do you hear a suction when you take the fuel cap off, might be worth checking the that the fuel cap is clean, sounds daft but wash the fuel cap ,to clean the vent hole.
Thanks Dave - so there shouldn't be suction then. Will check. And just wash it with detergent I suppose.

Cheers

Stew
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:23 pm

to test the glowplugs, remove the power rail & use an ohmmeter (or multimeter set to ohms) to measure between the tip of the plug & the head, resistance should be 0.5 ohms according to the manual.
While you're playing, check the glowplug rail isn't touching the fuel line anywhere & that all connections are tight & it's getting power to the rail when you turn the key. If you try giving it a bit longer after the light goes out, the relay doesn't switch off for about 10 seconds after the that, or give it 2 turns of the key to get them nice & warm if they are getting iffy.
Go for the NGK plugs if they need replacing.
Make sure you unplug the sensor on the fuel filter drain, it can be bloody stiff & access is a bit of a bugger, you may have to unbolt the mounting bracket to lift the whole thing up to get access.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:28 am

Stew71
Bongonaut

Post by Stew71 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:50 pm

wonkanoby wrote:http://sparkplugsrus.com/shop/index.cgi ... J-Glowplug

no were near 70 quid there
No, thanks for the link. Looks likely this is the problem - when the van is properly warmed up, it doesn't have any trouble at all.

Stew
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Stew71 wrote:any hot tips on getting the drain plug undone? I've been trying to turn it clockwise as I look from the top/above, that is right isn't it? And as per the factsheet, looks as though it's best to move a couple of other bits to access/remove the filter itself
I changed my fuel filter yesterday. It was tight, but I managed to get it undone using a Boa rubber strap wrench. Unplug the sensor wiring first, and let it hang down from the filter, then unscrew the filter. Removal is a wee bit awkward, more so if you are trying not to spill the diesel in it. Bit of a wiggle through the pipes and it comes out OK though. Then you can tip out the diesel and unscrew the drain / sensor off the bottom - you have been trying it the right way though, it's just tight.

Replacement instructions on the Wikee

Sounds like you have more of a glow plug issue though TBH. You can always change the plugs, then write up your new-found knowledge in the Wikee!
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to “Techie Stuff”