Fitting Willinton Kit

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Scubas00
Bongonaut

Fitting Willinton Kit

Post by Scubas00 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi all- I posted on here back in April when I was attempted to fit my Willinton kit whilst in Ireland. As it was, I travelled all around Ireland for a week with the W kit & the leisure battery in the van.. without fitting. I've since tried, and managed to do the battery tray, but am struggling with screwing in the bit that goes where the plastic thing gets removed through to cab! (if that makes sense!) Is there anyone in my neck of the woods who would perhaps pop along to do this for me or that I could drive to for a few quid? It would be much appreciated!
P.S West Coast of Ireland- fab! Heartily recommended & some lovely wild camping spots- East Coast, not so good, got burgled on a deserted beach when we took the dogs out for literally ten minutes & had phones & money nicked from the van- stealing Leprechauns!
nicstrike
Tribal Elder

Re: Fitting Willinton Kit

Post by nicstrike » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:30 pm

only 2 nuts on my kit. easy as pie. is yours laid out differently? if i were closer i'd gladly help.
Scubas00
Bongonaut

Post by Scubas00 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Nope! just can't seem to reach them- girlie embarrassment reigns...
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Not the easiest to get to, but even with stuffed knees & back, fibromyalgia & arthritis, I managed it :wink: I'd offer to assist, but just had knee surgery, so, no way I'm scrabbling about down there for a good month or 2 at least :wink:
all you need is a 10mm spanner & maybe someone to hold it in position under the bonnet.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
nicstrike
Tribal Elder

Post by nicstrike » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:30 pm

have you taken the small trim panel beneath the steering column off? this will give you line of sight to the problem nuts. would be easier using a socket on a small extension bar to tighten the nuts up. if you are still struggling try threading a small child in under there. i would offer mine but he is currently up a chimney!!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:34 pm

It'll need to be a deep socket.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 am

Hi,

Only just fitted my Willinton kit - -once the clutch cable blank is off the relay mount should go straight on, threading the cable through first - definitely remove the lower steering column shroud and then under the dash *gently* pull the threaded cable so that the two bolts are visible through the mounting holes, then pop the nuts and washers on then tighten - I used a deep 10mm socket on a screwdriver attachment, .

Very impressed with my Willinton kit - everybody who said get one of these as it may be more expensive than the bare relay but will go straight in without any hassle were spot on!

cheers,

Steve
Scubas00
Bongonaut

Post by Scubas00 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks Steve- I will follow your instructions to the letter! :)
Scubas00
Bongonaut

Post by Scubas00 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 am

Well, I have managed to fit it- whoop whoop!! You see, the issue is that nowhere on the instructions does it say that you fit the bolts from INSIDE the cab....I've been trying to do it from the engine bay...hence why I found trying to tighten the bottom screw particularly awkward. The penny dropped when I realised that if I couldn't reach it with my tiny lady hands than how could a man do it? & the fact that MissFixit talked about 'not scrambling down there' with her bad knees...better late than never!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”