Speedo needle/odometer

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

briwy
Supreme Being

Speedo needle/odometer

Post by briwy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Can someone please tell me how to get the needle off the speedo and revcounter.

Tried gently pulling and also tried pulling the tapered needle out but everything seems really solid.

I don't want to force it and do any damage.

Also is it possible to reset the odometer? I have got a GA5 speedo from an Mazda 6 which reads miles on the speedo and the odometer (currently shows 118k) but I want to set the odometer to the Bongo's mileage of 65k.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Speedo needle/odometer

Post by dave_aber » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:02 pm

The needle can be pretty tight. Apparently you can use 2 teaspoons as levers to quite good effect. Be aware that there are 2 wee counterbalance weights inside the balck hub bit which will fall out.

AFAIK, resetting the mileage is a case of gentle measured brute force
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll try the teaspoons before the tyre levers then.
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:55 pm

to reset the miles insert a small screwdriver between the dials and prise gently apart they should then be adjustable do them one ata time
Kincaid
Bongolier

Post by Kincaid » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:30 pm

westonwarrior wrote:to reset the miles insert a small screwdriver between the dials and prise gently apart they should then be adjustable do them one ata time
:cry: Damn that sounds far too easy. Why didn't they make it so it just breaks if tampered with??
Bongo Gymreig
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:26 pm

ive tried twice to reset ga5r speedo's---- and they didnt break,but they didnt line up correctly later on. :oops: :evil: .
i also know of one person who runs without the weights with no ill effects,they can be a real pain to refit.
if you mash it, i have one reading 115500 miles you could play with maybe.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 am

Same as been said~2 teaspoon's under needle & use the 2 small screw's as a leverage point~~when replacing with new speedo you can superglue the 2 weights in,they fit on top of each other,but before fitting needle,turn ignition on then put needle on~~if speedo don't read right you'll have to take needle off & move it back slightly (a bit hit & miss really)~~but everytime you take needle off,turn ignition on before replacing.
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks everyone.

Teaspoons worked a treat, just got to sort the odometer now.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:22 am

pooh only just loggedin and saw this post! you dont have to pull the needle off to get the odometer out!

The clock needs to be fully reassembled (without the front plastic!) before you put the needle back on, it needs to be in the car with the ignition on as you place the needle on 0mph, or you'll find that if you do it on the bench your doing 20mph as soon as the ignition is switched on

Julian
Straggly Dan

Post by Straggly Dan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 pm

I have just fitted the stick on speedo face plate to my Mark ll Bongo. The instructions from Bongo Fury and this website were most helpful but there were one or two differences with the Mark ll.
There are three strip connectors not two.
The speedo needle came off (Using the excellent tip of teaspoons) complete with black cap, and had no separate balance weights. They were all integral.
I turned a small punch from a 4" nail to punch out the required number of small holes.
The speedo itself did not have to be removed. Once the dark grey plastic surround had been unclipped the needle can be removed and the speedo face unscrewed from the front. The black surface of the old speedo face has to be removed, otherwise the numbers do not illuminate.
This I discovered the hard way. I am about to experiment to discover the best way of doing this, not the whole dial, simply the strip where the numbers are. Second attempt to begin soon.
Take care with the needle stop. It is only clipped into place. Mine pinged across the workshop but luckily I saw it land. :roll:

Return to “Techie Stuff”