Sovos Flip down TV From Maplins ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mayk19
Bongolier

Sovos Flip down TV From Maplins ?

Post by mayk19 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm trying to fit a Sovos Flip Down TV (the one Maplin sells) and detailed here http://www.sovos.co.uk/uploads/FE-SVKTV ... curve_.pdf

Got it all fitted but tried to run this straight off my 12V leisure battery and all I got was smoke out of the cigarette light socket ! I'm totally baffled as I've run a 12v freeview box and had no problems.

That should work OK Shouldn't it ? The way I powered it was to cut the power transformers wire AFTER the transformer, and connect that to a cigg lighter type plug, however, in line - there is a second "lump" in the 12v side cable - I'm wondering if that's a filter - or an external part of the original 240 to 12v adapter that could be confusing things.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks.
Hi im Simon
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Sovos Flip down TV From Maplins ?

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 24, 2011 12:05 pm

As its designed for mobile operation the easiest and most certain way would be to buy a standard co-ax power plug http://www.maplin.co.uk/dc-power-plugs-43084 (most common type is 2.5mm) and wire that to the 12 cig. socket directly, you can also buy the 12 volt cig. plug to 2.5mm (if that is the size) as a single unit but make sure that its rated for 4 amps.

As to what is in the lump its not possible to say without more info. or a picture. it might just be a ferrite core to reduce switching noise.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Tue May 24, 2011 12:38 pm

have seen lots of issues with kit thats supposed to be powered from mains through a transformer, have seen literally hundreds of PS2's die once they were connected to vehicle 12v even through transformers,hardwired or otherwise, no one ever found out why 1 would work and the next 10 wouldnt?

Agree the extra box is likely to be a filter of some kind,

Julian
mayk19
Bongolier

Post by mayk19 » Thu May 26, 2011 2:34 pm

thanks for the advice chaps, called Sovos and they are happy that you can connect 12v straight to the unit.. I'm suspecting the cig lighter plug I used was from a mobile phone or something and isnt rated for 4amps that the TV draws ?
Hi im Simon
maxi_77
Bongolier

Post by maxi_77 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Ah there is your problem, mobile phones charge at 5V and a few watts, trying to pull 30 watts through it is going to overload it severely it will see your TV as a dead short, hence smoke. You need to fit a proper 12V plug, probably best to use on with a fuse at say 5A. Just an observation but based on a standard LB your box will use 6% of your usable capacity, so perhaps you may want to be watchfull about just how long it is on especially if you use the LB for other power hungry things as well.
White diesel Bongo
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon May 30, 2011 9:05 pm

mayk19 wrote:The way I powered it was to cut the power transformers wire AFTER the transformer, and connect that to a cigg lighter type plug,
I agree with the others whatever you are connecting through can't handle the power draw of the TV unit.

It would have been best to leave the transformer alone in case you ever needed it and just bought a 12v connector lead with the right plug to fit the TV on it for a few quid and use that.
This one should fit almost anything.
http://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/i ... uctId=2151
mayk19
Bongolier

Post by mayk19 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:09 pm

thanks all. Sorted it with a 4 amp cig lighter plug.. all is good.. thanks for help.
Hi im Simon

Return to “Techie Stuff”