Sob sob ... my poor Bongo is not well. Gearbox needed

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jayster

Sob sob ... my poor Bongo is not well. Gearbox needed

Post by Jayster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm

I've been told that I'm looking at £2K for the required parts & labour to replace my gearbox. It's a 2.5 litre 4WD automatic and so I have a couple of questions that i'd be very grateful for some guidance on.

1. Does anyone know where I can buy a second hand gearbox?
2. Is this a bad idea?
3. Does anyone have any past experience at doing this, and if so, what am I looking at in terms of cost?
4. What are my best options (price-wise) if I wanted to buy a new gearbox, and if so, any ideas on where to buy from?
5. What would be the implications (apart from trouble when parking on grass) of converting the gearbox to a 2WD?

I'm not very mechanically-minded and so I'm easily confused, which doesn't make this any easier.

I'm absolutely gutted, and for the past five days have had bad news after bad news. Anything positive would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, guys.

Jason
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Sob sob ... my poor Bongo is not well. Gearbox needed

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Welcome to the madhouse - have a read of this http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=29471 - it's far easier to help you if we know where you are.
Why do you need a replacement gearbox and not just a repair? There are a couple of auto gearbox people on here, who may be able to help 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Jayster

Post by Jayster » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:27 am

Thanks for your reply. I've added my location to my profile, but FYI, I'm in Middlesbrough.

As far as I'm aware, repair is out of the question, although the full diagnosis hasn't actually been made yet as I'm still waiting for the garage to have their preferred automatic gearbox mechanics complete their full check, but the wheels don't move and I should know by tomorrow. Either way, it looks like a new gearbox is needed according to them? But if there are any mechanics on here who might be able to offer some advice/guidance, I'd be very grateful.
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:53 am

I think £2k is a bit steep, I was just over £1k for a second hand Manual box replacement, including a new clutch etc. There must be far more second hand auto boxes up for grabs compared to manual ones, so I would expect prices to be cheaper. Plus you should'nt get hammered for postage like I was. :evil: ( was not the sellers fault)
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
wormey
Supreme Being

Post by wormey » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:11 am

I'd wait for a full check to be done, then way up the options. £2000 does seem high, if the worst comes to it then source a second hand one from this forum and have it fitted.

I have in the past brought whole engines with the gearbox attached and refitted them, heavy work but you could do it yourself then.
Daz and debs
You've Been Bongod
Supreme Being

Post by You've Been Bongod » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 am

pm sent
I NOW HAVE AN ASTRA JUST THE BONGO TO FIND A NEW HOME THEN I AM OUT OF HERE
Jayster

Post by Jayster » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:05 am

You guys all rock!!

Thank you so much. Looks like some positive progress is finally occurring!!
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Post by Alacrity » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:11 pm

2k is more than we would charge to recondition a Bongo trans but not by a huge amount - I take it that includes VAT? However don't forget that unlike the guy who sells a second hand transmission, we have to give a cast iron warranty & the customer is backed by very hard hitting consumer laws. With a 2nd hand unit if it goes wrong you will, at best get another unit, or your money back. You won't get any labour contribution whereas we would recover the vehicle & deliver it back done should a problem occur under warranty. So to compare reconditioned prices against used is to say the least somewhat stupid.

Be careful when pricing things like reconditioned engines & gearboxes, you will always find someone who does the job loads cheaper than guys like Mackie or myself. Just use your head chaps & think 'how can this firm do it for half the price of that one?' instead of 'that firms is ripping me off by charging double what this firm has quoted', the answer, the minimum amount of parts will be used & often the unit isn't even stripped right down, only taken as far as the current issue. The torque converter will probably not be rebuilt, just painted & most of all the warranty won't hold up, you just get fobbed off if you get an issue.

You get what you pay for in this life, sometimes we get lucky, most of the time we don't.
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins

Return to “Techie Stuff”