Is this a speedo chip or part of the loom???

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Triple/R
Supreme Being

Is this a speedo chip or part of the loom???

Post by Triple/R » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:42 am

Eyup everyone--just got hold of a GA5R speedo to replace existing speedo,but not sure (PHOTO) if the black thing is a chip or part of existing wiring as there is no writng on it,it's just plain black---if it is a chip can i cut black thing off & tape remaining wires or do i just leave it in & put new speedo in?
Thanks for looking & await your replies.

Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Is this a speedo chip or part of the loom???

Post by dave_aber » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 am

Don't remember seeing anything like that behind my speedo when i swapped for a GA5R. Certainly looks like a conversion chip to me.

You'd have to establish the wiring mods carried out when the chip was installed to determine if you can just cut it out - you may have to re-join the signal line if the chip was wired in series with the signal.

From your photo, it looks like 4 wires going into the chip unit. Possiby +12v, Ground, Signal In, modified Signal Out. If that's the case, then cutting out the chip and reconnecting Signal In and Signal out together should sort it. Can you trace the 4 wired (Red, Black, Green, Yellow) and establish what colour of wire each is connected to? Looks like Green is wired to White/Blue which I think is the speed signal. Is the yellow wired to the other part of the same cable?
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 am

dave_aber wrote:Don't remember seeing anything like that behind my speedo when i swapped for a GA5R. Certainly looks like a conversion chip to me.

You'd have to establish the wiring mods carried out when the chip was installed to determine if you can just cut it out - you may have to re-join the signal line if the chip was wired in series with the signal.

From your photo, it looks like 4 wires going into the chip unit. Possiby +12v, Ground, Signal In, modified Signal Out. If that's the case, then cutting out the chip and reconnecting Signal In and Signal out together should sort it. Can you trace the 4 wired (Red, Black, Green, Yellow) and establish what colour of wire each is connected to? Looks like Green is wired to White/Blue which I think is the speed signal. Is the yellow wired to the other part of the same cable?

Thanks for quick response--the yellow is wired to white/blue on other socket
Regards Ray & Christine

321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 am

yes it is a speedo chip, theres lots of different types
Julian
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:11 am

321Away wrote:yes it is a speedo chip, theres lots of different types
Julian
Thanks Julian--can i just cut it out then??
Regards Ray & Christine

dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:44 am

Do you mean that the yellow is wired to a white/blue core coming from the left-hand socket, and the green is wired to a white/blue core coming from the right hand socket? I had expected the original blue/white core to have been cut, and the yellow wired to the loom side (signal from the vehicle) and the green to the speedo side (modified signal to the speedo). If that's not the case, then I could be talking total guff.

Can you post another picture showing the wire joints where the 4 chip wires connect, and as far as possible where the original wires that they are connected to go to?
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:48 am

dave_aber wrote:
Do you mean that the yellow is wired to a white/blue core coming from the left-hand socket, and the green is wired to a white/blue core coming from the right hand socket? I had expected the original blue/white core to have been cut, and the yellow wired to the loom side (signal from the vehicle) and the green to the speedo side (modified signal to the speedo). If that's not the case, then I could be talking total guff.

Can you post another picture showing the wire joints where the 4 chip wires connect, and as far as possible where the original wires that they are connected to go to?
Thanks again Dave--got to go out unexpectedly will be back later & post another pic.
Regards Ray & Christine

Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Cut the chip off & was left with these wires--the red & black are spurred off (if thats the right term)the 2 showing & the only cut wire is the blue & white one -- so i joined the blue & white to each other plugged in & everything works e.g. warning lights rev counter--petrol gauge--indicators, but only dash lights on petrol gauge side work-- other dash lights & speedo do'nt work any ideas please.

Regards Ray & Christine

321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 pm

insulate the red its an ignition feed live
Julian
falcoron

Post by falcoron » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Whats a gr5 speedo? What does it do thats different to the one already in
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 pm

falcoron wrote:Whats a gr5 speedo? What does it do thats different to the one already in

It's off a Mazda MX6 (i think) it reads in miles & the trip records in miles i prefer the reading in MPH rather than KPM when there chipped then become a bit erratic--but you can also have a new speedo dial in MPH but trip still records in KPH
Regards Ray & Christine

Scott
Supreme Being

Post by Scott » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Triple/R wrote:Cut the chip off & was left with these wires--the red & black are spurred off (if thats the right term)the 2 showing & the only cut wire is the blue & white one -- so i joined the blue & white to each other plugged in & everything works e.g. warning lights rev counter--petrol gauge--indicators, but only dash lights on petrol gauge side work-- other dash lights & speedo do'nt work any ideas please.

Blue white is the pulse feed for the speedo, by cutting it and adding the chip in they can adjust the pulse to make the kph speedo read mph, the red as stated is live so should be insulated and to be safe insulate the black too.

as for your lights not working then check the bulbs or that the plugs are inserted correctly as none of these wires affect the bulb and as far as i can remember the feed for the lights should be common between the bulbs so If the fuel gauge lights are working then the others should be too, I think

hope this helps [-o<

Scott
The user formerly known as csmcqueen ;)

スコット
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Cheers Scott & everyone else that's given me advise--i was on the verge of going to an Auto Electrician imagine what they would have charged me :x but as usual the forum saved the day ---- all sorted now =D> =D> =D>
Regards Ray & Christine

waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Triple/R wrote:
falcoron wrote:Whats a gr5 speedo? What does it do thats different to the one already in

It's off a Mazda MX6 (i think) it reads in miles & the trip records in miles i prefer the reading in MPH rather than KPM when there chipped then become a bit erratic--but you can also have a new speedo dial in MPH but trip still records in KPH
Mazda 626 not mx6, I think theres a couple of different types,make sure it says GA5R on the faceof the speedo, its clocks up in miles and reads in miles and is a perfect swap
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Im pretty sure they came in both the mx6 and 626 of the correct vintage

Return to “Techie Stuff”