Bongo head gone!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikelamb

Bongo head gone!

Post by mikelamb » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi All,

Just got bad news about the Bongo. She needs a new Head! Garage owner phoned Me and said He has ordered a new one to the cost of £500 + vat. Feeling a bit sick really! Looks like a nice bill coming just before crimbo! I expect with all the bits and pieces I am looking for £1200. Just off to drink a crate of stella!

Any sympathy will be much appreciated!

Mike.

Whats your thoughts on this head up for sale on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mazda-Bongo-Frien ... 414ad837c9
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo head gone!

Post by westonwarrior » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:03 pm

yes its alot of cash but stick with the one your garage is supplying, its more likly to be of good quality and if there is a problem then the garage supplied and fitted so takes the chance of swapping blame.

the price is not excessive, it costs that much to do
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:15 pm

:?
mikelamb wrote:Hi All,

I expect with all the bits and pieces I am looking for £1200. Just off to drink a crate of stella!

Mike.
Thats about the right price for a job well done with a solid warranty.

If it helps, my local Bargain Booze shop has on offer 2 cases of Stella for £20.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
bessie
Bongonaut

Post by bessie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 pm

So sorry about you news but we are feeling the same we have to have a new turbo.........quoted 900.00 :( :( :(
I really want a Bongo Dog....
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 pm

bessie wrote:So sorry about you news but we are feeling the same we have to have a new turbo.........quoted 900.00 :( :( :(

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Errrrr, don't take them up on that offer!!!!

:shock:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm

V. sorry to hear of your troubles Mike. Cars (all of them) can throw big bills, but its got to be fixed. Then draw line and (hopefully) move on. Tonight - get drunk :D

bessie - check out ebay as I saw one or two on there only last night. I'm no expert but I thought fitting a turbo was not too labour intensive, so all-in-all £900 sounds a bit OTT. What do others think (apart from MM - we know he agrees :wink: )
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:19 pm

mikelamb wrote:Hi All,

Just got bad news about the Bongo. She needs a new Head! Garage owner phoned Me and said He has ordered a new one to the cost of £500 + vat. Feeling a bit sick really! Looks like a nice bill coming just before crimbo! I expect with all the bits and pieces I am looking for £1200. Just off to drink a crate of stella!

Mike.
Bloomin' Heck, bad luck mate.

A whopping big bill is always a pain, but right on christmas. ](*,)

Hopefuly you'll soon be posting about what a great job your garage have done, and how good the Bongo now is. :D

Meanwhile enjoy a few beers. :D
mikelamb

Post by mikelamb » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:19 pm

OK, Half way through the Stella and things seem alot better! Thanks for your wise words on this, its a bit of a killer as We are pretty much spent out at the Mo! Nevermind, it could be worse :^o I will keep you all informed on progress.
mikelamb

Post by mikelamb » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:02 am

Hi All!

Just to let you all know that the Bongo came home today after a lengthy stay in intensive care.
She is feeling much better.
One problem that started just before She went in is a faulty fuel gauge. I know there is a fact sheet on this but I can't access it because I don't have the latest password!
Anyway I just wanted to say Hi and hope your all well.

Mike. :wink:
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:20 am

Ok Mike, lol, slide middle seats forward and rear seats back, get in between, grab carpet firmly on the floor under the window just in front of rear seat, pull like mad, it will shift exposing panel, unscrew and hey presto, there is the culprit, take apart and clean all contacts, then drill and make second earth as safeguard (I did), put it back and test and should be fine,lol. (quick version) incidentally the fact sheet is brill, damn good photos too.
mikelamb

Post by mikelamb » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:33 am

Cheers David :wink:

My back seats are the fold up type, but I get the idea from what you say.
I will take a look in the morning. The gauge has stopped working alltogether now, but hopefully I can fix it without anymore expense!

Mike.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:18 pm

Glad to hear you are back on the road Mike. Was there any clue as to what might have caused the old one to go?

Good luck with the gauge. Mine's a bit flaky so suspect I'll have to tackle it at some point :roll:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:21 pm

Fuel gauge thread here - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=33920 - it's where some of the factsheet info came from :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mikelamb

Post by mikelamb » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi!

Tackled the fuel gauge this morning and I think it is fixed! :wink:
Just cleaned the terminals with some wd40 and a flat screwdriver, reconnected and hey presto!
The highs and lows of owning a Bongo :
1. Head failure - £1250 Low. :(
2. Repair fuel gauge - free. High :D

It looks like it may have been the Rad partially blocked which eventually led to the head failure. She is running a lot lower on the temp gauge now. Just above half even with a mason alarm wired up.

I will run her for a while now before weighing up My options regarding keeping or selling.

Cheers,

Mike :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:32 am

mikelamb wrote:Hi!

Tackled the fuel gauge this morning and I think it is fixed! :wink:
Just cleaned the terminals with some wd40 and a flat screwdriver, reconnected and hey presto!
The highs and lows of owning a Bongo :
1. Head failure - £1250 Low. :(
2. Repair fuel gauge - free. High :D

It looks like it may have been the Rad partially blocked which eventually led to the head failure. She is running a lot lower on the temp gauge now. Just above half even with a mason alarm wired up.

I will run her for a while now before weighing up My options regarding keeping or selling.

Cheers,

Mike :wink:

Cooling off period (no pun intended) is a good idea before rushing to sell. One thought I've had about mine is if I now had to spend £1000 on a repair like that, I could console myself with the thought that most other motors would have lost more than that in depreciation (which the Bongo hasn't) in the 3 yrs I've owned it. And, on past experience, most other cars would have cost me that much in bills by the end of 3 yrs (which the Bongo hasn't). Helps me put it in perspective.

I assume you've got a new rad and thermostat in now?

Return to “Techie Stuff”