coolant flow - (follow up to cooling diagram)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Re: coolant flow - (follow up to cooling diagram)

Post by widdowson2008 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:20 pm

dandywarhol wrote:Never seen inside a Bongo head but would imagine the coolant will circulate around the combustion chamber/valve area and then out the head to that hose - Allans may be able to tell otherwise...............
Thank you :D
Steve
Grahame at work
Bongolier

Post by Grahame at work » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sending the drawing.

As a schematic it is very good but I agree with Dandy regards the out flow from the head to the radiator. So your modified drawing earlier in this thread is right but needs to link directly to split in flow in the cylinder head - i.e instead of the inside thin red line going back down into the block it connects to the thick red line you have moved up.
having done that may I suggest that you take the heater output red line directly to the bottom of the zig zag line showing flow up around the cylinders - that is about where it does actually come from.

The only other comment from the drawing that you sent me is that I don't think (and I do stand to be corrected here) that the thermostat does NOT actually completely close off the flow from the bypass when fully 'open'. I say this because there is no seal of any sort at that end of the thermostat - only a disk of metal that may well restrict the flow to 10% or less but not actually close it off completely.

If folk want to see a more 'life like' version then you could perhaps move the thermostat and oil cooler down the block - but I think the graphic is great.

I will be forwarding more words soon - honest :roll: :roll:

Regards Grahame
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:34 am

Grahame at work wrote:Hi Steve,

Thanks for sending the drawing.

As a schematic it is very good but I agree with Dandy regards the out flow from the head to the radiator. So your modified drawing earlier in this thread is right but needs to link directly to split in flow in the cylinder head - i.e instead of the inside thin red line going back down into the block it connects to the thick red line you have moved up.
having done that may I suggest that you take the heater output red line directly to the bottom of the zig zag line showing flow up around the cylinders - that is about where it does actually come from.

The only other comment from the drawing that you sent me is that I don't think (and I do stand to be corrected here) that the thermostat does NOT actually completely close off the flow from the bypass when fully 'open'. I say this because there is no seal of any sort at that end of the thermostat - only a disk of metal that may well restrict the flow to 10% or less but not actually close it off completely.

If folk want to see a more 'life like' version then you could perhaps move the thermostat and oil cooler down the block - but I think the graphic is great.

Regards Grahame
Drawing sorted as per your/dandy comments - Can't post it cos I'm having bother with photobucket
Steve
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Regards Grahame[/quote]

Words would really be appreciated :wink:

Drawing sorted as per your/dandy comments - Can't post it cos I'm having bother with photobucket[/quote]

Hi Grahame/Alan

photobucket sorted (I think)
Is this one OK
Steve
Grahame at work
Bongolier

Post by Grahame at work » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:17 pm

=D> =D> that's great.

but just to be VERY picky - how about putting the flow line from radiator to header entering the header below the water level. sorry if i'm being too pernickety :oops:

Regrads Grahame
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:15 pm

Grahame at work wrote:=D> =D> that's great.

but just to be VERY picky - how about putting the flow line from radiator to header entering the header below the water level. sorry if i'm being too pernickety :oops:

Regrads Grahame
:oops: I like PICKY, it gets things correct =D> - was looking at that very thing yesterday and then loused up on the diagram. :oops: :oops: :oops: 'twill be sorted today - only take a few minutes.
I was out taking some measurements of the different levels (height wise) of the various hoses and components - and then produced a fully dimensioned drawing of same (for future reference).
When you see the bits arranged in a graphically correct manner from a hydraulic/plumbing point of view and study them, it becomes apparent why, when bleeding the system, it is necessary to rev the engine.
Having studied the drawing, I think I can now see how (and why) Mike Goughs method of bleeding works - without all the revs. Need to talk to Mike.
I'll stick a pic on here later

Need to get on with the fact sheet so I really could do with some words from you, Alan, and Mike. Not pushing you understand. :^o :^o Ok - I am pushing :roll:
Steve
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:26 pm

..............and to be really picky - could you put the expansion tank on the same side as the thermostat as it is in the vehicle - it'll make more sense for the non techies
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:11 pm

dandywarhol wrote:..............and to be really picky - could you put the expansion tank on the same side as the thermostat as it is in the vehicle - it'll make more sense for the non techies
For the picky ones amongst us (and the pickiest one I know is ME)
for Grahame - Rad to expansion tank now below waterline
for Dandy - expansion tank on the same side as the thermostat

Now my turn to be picky :wink: :wink: c'mon, lets be fair you guys - I'm doing my bit, where are the WORDS you promised? :wink:
Steve
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Thats starting to look really good Steve =D>

Flip it 180 degrees when you can so I don't get a crick in my Irish neck :lol:
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:46 am

widdowson2008 wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:..............and to be really picky - could you put the expansion tank on the same side as the thermostat as it is in the vehicle - it'll make more sense for the non techies
For the picky ones amongst us (and the pickiest one I know is ME)
for Grahame - Rad to expansion tank now below waterline
for Dandy - expansion tank on the same side as the thermostat

Now my turn to be picky :wink: :wink: c'mon, lets be fair you guys - I'm doing my bit, where are the WORDS you promised? :wink:
You sure the rear heater return goes there........................? :wink:
To infinity and beyond
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:22 pm

The Great Pretender wrote:
widdowson2008 wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:..............Image

You sure the rear heater return goes there........................? :wink:
Hi TGP
Technically, and from a schematic flow diagram point of view, YES it is correct. It matches the 3D diagrams you all approved earlier. Thats why it was SO IMPORTANT to get the original circuit diagram correct. Get that wrong, and anything that follows replicates any errors.
Having said that, and presuming the original circuit is correct, and seeing that you pointed out the rear heater issue, I have modified the diagram as the following pic shows. Is this what you meant?
Steve
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:34 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Flip it 180 degrees when you can so I don't get a crick in my Irish neck :lol:
Hi Mike
Were you serious about flipping 180 deg? I can do anything you like with it.
Or is this the Irish humour side of you showing its head? :D :wink:
Steve
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:23 am

widdowson2008 wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Flip it 180 degrees when you can so I don't get a crick in my Irish neck :lol:
Hi Mike
Were you serious about flipping 180 deg? I can do anything you like with it.
Or is this the Irish humour side of you showing its head? :D :wink:
Yup, quite serious. I reckon its how most folk would naturally be able to easily relate the position of components on the drawing to the actual car :D
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:40 am

That is right Steve and the same as the avi you sent.
To infinity and beyond
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:44 am

The Great Pretender wrote:That is right Steve and the same as the avi you sent.
Thanks Mel =D>
I am going quite deep into the system, particularly the ECU.
If what I learned recently is true (and it should be confirmed one way or the other by the write ups I'm getting - hopefully soon), well ...... watch this space - things are going to get really interesting!
Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”