Choice of engine oil..

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

chiefster1976
Bongolier

Choice of engine oil..

Post by chiefster1976 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:37 am

I need to change engine oil...

I see people have idea of what viscosity to use... But personally i want to use what the mazda book tells me to use... Im sure the book was 10w30..Or 10w 40...
I would like to use castrol magnetec 10w 40 as this worked wonders in my pajero SWB 3.0L..

The magnetec is suitable for diesel engine as it states on the bottle.
Any thoughts on using this oil???
If i use this oil i will use it on my mazda B2500 WL 2.5TD Engined utillity vehicle as well..
Racing green with extras!!Self build full side conversion which rocks!!!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Choice of engine oil..

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:26 pm

chiefster1976 wrote:I need to change engine oil...

I see people have idea of what viscosity to use... But personally i want to use what the mazda book tells me to use... Im sure the book was 10w30..Or 10w 40...
I would like to use castrol magnetec 10w 40 as this worked wonders in my pajero SWB 3.0L..

The magnetec is suitable for diesel engine as it states on the bottle.
Any thoughts on using this oil???
If i use this oil i will use it on my mazda B2500 WL 2.5TD Engined utillity vehicle as well..
I think (though my memory is poor) the Mazda book recommends 5w as the lower limit (5w40?)unless running in v hot conditions. I use 5w30 semi synth so (with luck) I get less resistance on short cold runs (which I do a reasonable amount of), less strain on starter motor and battery etc. plus its not too pricey. Seems to work fine for me.. 8)

PS - just realised you are in Oz. If 5w40 is too dear, then I guess 10w40 should be right for your hot climate :roll:
patnben
Bongolier

Post by patnben » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:35 pm

I use COMMA XTECH 5W/30 which is recomended for B2500 and Bongo Diesel.

Last time I paid 32.99 GBP for a 20 Litre container.
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:35 am

managed to dig out my NZ handbook for the bongo..
recomended on there is the diesel extra II(what ever that means) 10w 30 , -15'c -40'c..
so i guess the 10w 30 will be a good average..
general oils here used are castrol GTX, magnetec, Helix, mobil 1000,2000,3000, and Penrite.valvoline..

Any more opinions on what engine oil poeple use please feel free..
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 am

Yea it's the 10 X 30 I use as well, funny thing I was buying some castrol stuff in my local motor factors and there was a rep in there, he called me one side and told me one of the best oils on the market is the one supplied to Lidl, I have asked my local garage what they thought and they agreed, it's a funny old world eh..needless to say my bongo is now running on the stuff...lol...for a trial anyway.
splitpin
Bongolier

Post by splitpin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:24 pm

I have used both 10w40 and 15w50 and noticed no difference in engine running, not tried Magnatec but shouldn't think would be problem, would use Magnatec Diesel though.
Neilos

Post by Neilos » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 pm

Will I be able to use the same oil s in my old school 1993 2 litre diesel auto?
I like in the Uk and have no access to a manual so would appreciate any advice on recommended oils etc.
Neilos Bongos
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 am

hey dave... Shame there is NO lidl here..bummer.. #-o

There are ALDI 's being knocked up all over but never sell oils..lol... :mrgreen:

I have purchsed all my gear needed(oil wise)

EP 80w -90 oil in 4ltr tubs Valvoline.. $33 AU..each
ATF dexron III in 5 ltr tubs..Valvoline.. $38AU..each
engine oil.. Castrol Magnetec 10w 40.. $ 35 AU for 5ltrs(i have another 3ltrs spare..)
I have been advised by repco that the magnetec 10w 40 is recomended...The normal magnetc is sufficient for diesel engine and states clearly on the tub CH rating(apparently thats for diesels as well as petrol)
I am very confident the magnetc will do quite nicely as in my 3.0 pajero's tapping problem was erased when i stopped using castrol 15w 40 and replaced with magnetec 10w 40..
Not purchased the oil filter and air filter so looking at ebay maybe for that...
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Just looking at engine oil filter and air filter! most used here in oz ARE 'RYCO' :lol: by name..(never heard of them before coming to oz).
I have a mazda B2500 TD same engine im sure as bongo. [-o< . the engine is stamped WL. :wink: .. This engine takes a RYCO Z9 oil filter.. the air filter is a square panel type..(but im sure the bongo is a cylinder type filter right?)
:idea:
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:27 pm

chiefster1976 wrote:Just looking at engine oil filter and air filter! most used here in oz ARE 'RYCO' :lol: by name..(never heard of them before coming to oz).
I have a mazda B2500 TD same engine im sure as bongo. [-o< . the engine is stamped WL. :wink: .. This engine takes a RYCO Z9 oil filter.. the air filter is a square panel type..(but im sure the bongo is a cylinder type filter right?)
:idea:
Yep air filter is more likely to change on same engine than anything else, as they are more to do with where they fit under the hood, than how they link to the engine (just a length of hose).

Oil filter is most likely to be the same (why should they change it?).

But fuel filter just depends on which filter head is fitted - again only linked by a hose so might be different, or even changed by an owner later.
stevedon
Bongonaut

Post by stevedon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:51 pm

I bought my filters from repco and told them they were too expensive so they dropped their price to one i was willing to pay,also ive forund that mazda dealers here in NZ are quite reasonably priced fro genuine spare parts so i use genuine now

Return to “Techie Stuff”