How far in does yours go?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Rob101
Bongolier

How far in does yours go?

Post by Rob101 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi All,
Was poking around underneath our dear old girl to find out what was knocking and saw this :

I'm worried that the rod is working its way out of the slot - and that would be a veryvery bad thing !! I suspect movement coz of the lack of waxoil on the shaped end.. A quick wiggle while I was down there and it all seemed firm, but I'm still a bit paranoid about a disasterous loss of control if it lets go. Is it meant to look like that or should attempt to shove it in further and tighten the nuts?

In all seriousness tho - please let me know if this need attention ! (The knocking turned out to be the front left droplink BTW).

Cheers and fnaar,

Rob
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: How far in does yours go?

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Judging by the rust, it can't do much moving. I don't recognise the part, but assume that it's your steering column, so you would be able to move your steering wheel in and out if it was loose.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Rob101
Bongolier

Post by Rob101 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Yes John, it is the steering column I am referring to- and the point where it enters the universal joint underneath.. The steering wheel doesnt move (backwards and forwards that is). As for the rust, my concern was that as it wasn't covered in waxoil - maybe that part had previously been further into the UJ when the waxoil was sprayed underneath - and has slowly worked its way out over time.
Probably worrying about nothing as usual !!

Cheers

Rob
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Rob101 wrote:Probably worrying about nothing as usual !!

Cheers

Rob
I think so Rob :lol: If you look at the length of rusty bit, it would have been fouling the universal joint if it had been in that far. I suspect that the splines were mucky so that the Waxoil didn't stick properly
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
stevedon
Bongonaut

Post by stevedon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:07 pm

the steering shaft is held in place by a notch in the shaft and the bolt that passes through the uj holds it securely in place ,ie it cant come out as long as the bolt is in place .
Rob101
Bongolier

Post by Rob101 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:16 pm

stevedon wrote:the steering shaft is held in place by a notch in the shaft and the bolt that passes through the uj holds it securely in place ,ie it cant come out as long as the bolt is in place .
Just the kind of reassurance I was after - thanks stevedon ! Its weird that the shaft is splined and has a flat on it so far up tho..guess its a generic part for other vehicles too.

Cheers

Rob
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:59 pm

I refuse to comment on this heading in fear of embarrasing myself :lol: :lol: :lol:
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
stevedon
Bongonaut

Post by stevedon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:40 am

too be 100% sure that yours is good remove the bolt and check.someone could have cocked it up in the past.

Return to “Techie Stuff”