IAT sensor/Diagnostic Codes

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rod

IAT sensor/Diagnostic Codes

Post by rod » Tue May 02, 2006 1:55 pm

The symptons were sudden dramatic loss of engine power when driving uphill, more frequently when loaded eg with kids & camping gear. This was accompanied by the glow plug light flashing on & off plus the engine bay cooling fan running.
This would continue for the rest of the journey but usually clear after stopping for an hour or so.
I got the idea that it could be a faulty sensor when I had a diagnostic test done, although the computer could not actually read a fault it did start the glow plug light flashing a fault code (engine faults are indicated by a flashing glow plug light in the same way that a gearbox fault is indicated by a flashing hold light), the fault code indicated was 11 which according to the garage's book was the IAT sensor.
The next step was to get a price for a new sensor from Vospers Exeter for a new sensor which at £22.45 seemed worth a try. I fitted it at the weekend and so far so good, apparently the problem has gone away.
The sensor is fitted to the left hand side pipe (when facing the front) which runs from the intercooler back to the engine. You probably know already but the intercooler is the small radiator-like componenet situated just behind the front bumper. If you follow the LH pipe back you will find the sensor just before the engine bay cooling fan, it is mounted in the top of the pipe with a connection off the fan wiring loom. Disconnect the wiring & it unscrews with a 19mm spanner. You will need to take off the plastic sump guard for access.
Hope this is helpful, let me know if any other queries, although I would say that if your fault is not accompanied by a flashing glow plug light it is probably nothing to do with an engine related sensor.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: IAT sensor

Post by Ian » Tue May 02, 2006 4:47 pm

That's OK Rod' it warrants being a new subject in its own right.

I was interested in this bit:
rod wrote:(engine faults are indicated by a flashing glow plug light in the same way that a gearbox fault is indicated by a flashing hold light), the fault code indicated was 11 which according to the garage's book was the IAT sensor.
We have got the list of the gearbox fault codes, and would be very interested in publishing the engine fault codes as well. Any idea which book your garage were referring to?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:44 pm

I am reactivating this old thread to ask the same question. Does anyone know where to obtain the main diagnosos fault codes? One of the members has been in touch to say he has a problem with his ABS, and the fault code is 3.

But nobody knows what it means. Can anyone help?
scanner
Supreme Being

Re: IAT sensor/Diagnostic Codes

Post by scanner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:26 pm

rod wrote:The symptons were sudden dramatic loss of engine power when driving uphill, more frequently when loaded eg with kids & camping gear. This was accompanied by the glow plug light flashing on & off plus the engine bay cooling fan running.
This would continue for the rest of the journey but usually clear after stopping for an hour or so.
I got the idea that it could be a faulty sensor when I had a diagnostic test done, although the computer could not actually read a fault it did start the glow plug light flashing a fault code (engine faults are indicated by a flashing glow plug light in the same way that a gearbox fault is indicated by a flashing hold light), the fault code indicated was 11 which according to the garage's book was the IAT sensor.
The next step was to get a price for a new sensor from Vospers Exeter for a new sensor which at £22.45 seemed worth a try. I fitted it at the weekend and so far so good, apparently the problem has gone away.
The sensor is fitted to the left hand side pipe (when facing the front) which runs from the intercooler back to the engine. You probably know already but the intercooler is the small radiator-like componenet situated just behind the front bumper. If you follow the LH pipe back you will find the sensor just before the engine bay cooling fan, it is mounted in the top of the pipe with a connection off the fan wiring loom. Disconnect the wiring & it unscrews with a 19mm spanner. You will need to take off the plastic sump guard for access.
Hope this is helpful, let me know if any other queries, although I would say that if your fault is not accompanied by a flashing glow plug light it is probably nothing to do with an engine related sensor.

WYM not using TLC's such as IAT without GUD SSO idea WTF it means please?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Rod has long disappeared so we will never know. He posted this a couple of year's ago.

What I am trying to establish is whether anyone has access to the engine diagnostic codes.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Ian wrote:Rod has long disappeared so we will never know. He posted this a couple of year's ago.

What I am trying to establish is whether anyone has access to the engine diagnostic codes.
The point about folk using acronyms they understand, when others don't, still stands though.

And anyway what is an IAT?

Is there any chance they would be the same on a Ford Ranger or Mazda Pick-up?
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Intake Air Temperature - if in doubt Google's the answer :wink:

Never tried it on a diesel but a resistor in the circuit kids the Engine Management Unit that the intake temp. is lower than it is and helps richen up the mixture to overcome the flat spot usually found around max. torque in most cars :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
dp bradford
Bongolier

Post by dp bradford » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:10 pm

scanner wrote:...WYM not using TLC's such as IAT without GUD SSO idea WTF it means please?
ITYM TLAs, not TLC's - IYSWIM :lol:
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:33 pm

dp bradford wrote:
scanner wrote:...WYM not using TLC's such as IAT without GUD SSO idea WTF it means please?
ITYM TLAs, not TLC's - IYSWIM :lol:
YPR

Intake Air Temperature - if in doubt Google's the answer Wink
I know but ........................... should you have to?
Never tried it on a diesel but a resistor in the circuit kids the Engine Management Unit that the intake temp. is lower than it is and helps richen up the mixture to overcome the flat spot usually found around max. torque in most cars Smile
It's how the cheap "tunning (sic)" boxes sold on ebay work. But as a diesel only works on adding more fuel to an excess of air to increase revs, instead of fuel/air mixed in a strictly fixed ratio as in a petrol engine, all I can see it does is shorten throttle movement, as you just get to max fuel flow sooner.

Return to “Techie Stuff”