Removing wishbone

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Removing wishbone

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm attempting to swap the wishbone on my Bongo in the hope that it will eliminate the knocking noise.

The front bushing bolt was easy to undo, the rear U-Clamp bolts were easy to undo.

The castellated nut on top of the ball joint was a pig to undo, I snapped both ends of the only 26mm spanner I had! I eventually got it off with a pair of stillsons and an extension bar.

Now I can't get the ball joint out of the hub. I've tried a variety of ways but it isn't budging - any suggestions?

Thanks
Merlot man
Bongolier

Re: Removing wishbone

Post by Merlot man » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 pm

I've done both of mine recently and the ball joint is a bit of a pig alright , best way I found is to whack the side of the stub axle , where the ball joint fits through , idea is that it shocks the joint free . It will take a heavy ball pein hammer and a fair few proper hits but you will get there .
Best of luck with it
Brian
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:27 pm

I think I tried hitting there. Do you mean the hub itself where the conical part of the ball joint passes through? I tried hitting both sides of that but no change!

Would be so much easier without the 4x4 stuff above!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 pm

support the body on one jack letting the hub and wishbone hang, then build up some timber or bricks to just under the disc, but not touching.
whack the sh*t out of the hub where the ball joint goes through, its own weight will separate it. eventually. dont break the casting though. bit of squirty lube stuff may help.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 am

thanks - off for round two as soon as it looks like some of the neighbours have woken up!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:30 am

They'll wake up once you start. :lol:
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:33 am

Absolutely pee'd off with it at the moment :x

Have repeatedly hit the hub where it passes through, have sprayed it with copious amounts of penetrating spray. It hasn't budged at all.

Have tried crow bars and all sorts but still it won't shift. I'm at a bit of a loss and to make things worse I think I've just made a pin hole in the rubber above the nut :oops:

Can I take the disc off and move that little drive shaft out of the way so I can hit the ball joint from above?

I take it I need to replace the rubber on that drive shaft now too :( Any ideas where I can get one of those from?

Things are getting worse with this now :(
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:56 am

sota, don't hit the knuckle on the sides, give it a good smack square on the NOSE ,the pointed end.

Never fails.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 pm

What do you mean by on the nose?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:10 pm

sotal wrote:What do you mean by on the nose?
Have a look at 33-020 Knuckle its the lower part of the knuckle that faces the inside when the wheels are parallel , imagine the knuckle as the face and the protruding part the nose. Hit it full on not the sides.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... no=.html#2
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:35 pm

Tried hitting it there, no movement. It just doesn't want to.shift at all :(
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 pm

They can be a bitch but I have never failed to loosen one using NBs method.
https://goo.gl/photos/xV5yMx9YH166mG978
Put your axle stand under the end of the wishbone carrier marked in white on the image,not the wishbone but the carrier. Take off the wheel and jack up on the hub thats the bit with the wheel studs on so that there is an upward pressure on the hub and spring.
Now having removed the castleted nut put it back on at least four turns. With the heaviest ballpien hammer you have whack the shirt out off it directly on the white spot. If you have a helper get a long lever in between the wish bone and the drive shaft and get them to stand on it.Let me know how you get on.
The CV boots can be replaced with a universal type or you can seal up the damge with PU sealant if its not too bad.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Have got the hub on a jack at the moment and have been hitting it in the correct place. I have been using a lump hammer and a heavy claw hammer though. Will a ball pien hammer make any difference?

Can't look at it again now until Monday but have borrowed a good sized ball pien hammer to try. Do you hit it with the rounded end?

The nut on the ball joint wouldn't come off all the way. It spins up and down with fingers, but fouls the and ring before it will actually come off at the top.

The hole in the cv boot is tiny so hoping some sealant will work
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 pm

What a nightmare. :(

I'd use the flat end of the hammer to whack the wretched thing.

An engineers ball pien hammer will be heavy and have a harder face than claw hammers and the like.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Heavy ball pein hammer and a few proper hits on the side of the stub axle , three shredded wheat might help .
Like bongolia this has always worked for me , but remember proper hits slow and deliberate .
Failing that all I can think of is heat but try and stay away from this .I'm assuming that the joint is rusted in place if the whacking method doesn't work .
Please Keep us informed as to your progress
Brian

Return to “Techie Stuff”