Rear Seat Query

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Mcfluff1984
Junior Bongonaut

Rear Seat Query

Post by Mcfluff1984 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:21 pm

I have recently purchased a unconverted Bongo and have a query regarding the rear seat set up.

Basically I have rotated the first row of seats to face the rear of the van (facing rear seats) so I could put a foldable table in between.

The problem I have is when laying the two rows of seats flat to make a bed I cannot get the seats to lock without having a 2 inch cap between them in the middle.

Is this a common issue when having the set up like this? It's a tad annoying.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Re: Rear Seat Query

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Seats should but right up to each other.
Have you lifted the little lever under the seat next to the seat support,that may give you the extra couple of inches

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:28 am

Yes, the stops in the rail aren't in the right place when the seat is rotated, we either stuff an inflatable pillow between the seat and the engine tunnel or use the headrests to wedge it. I did consider wrapping a ratchet strap round the legs of the bench, it worked well but turned out unnecessary.

It also helps that we have a topper, so don't really notice it moving slightly particularly.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:10 am

Funnily enough, I tried the same thing for the first time yesterday with my newly purchased Bongo. Like you, we have the middle row reversed and I struggled to get a decent flat surface. Luckily we have a removable rear kitchen pod but I don't want to have to take this out every time if I can help it. Even with the front seats right forward and head rests removed a level bed still cannot be formed. Looks like it's going to be a bit cramped down below.
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:26 am

George217 wrote:Funnily enough, I tried the same thing for the first time yesterday with my newly purchased Bongo. Like you, we have the middle row reversed and I struggled to get a decent flat surface. Luckily we have a removable rear kitchen pod but I don't want to have to take this out every time if I can help it. Even with the front seats right forward and head rests removed a level bed still cannot be formed. Looks like it's going to be a bit cramped down below.
Do you know if you have long rails or short rails for the seats, I believe with short rails (where you'd have originally had flip-up rear seats rather than a second sliding bench) that the seat can't go far enough towards the rear. I've not done it myself but I did read it's possible to install the longer rails to solve this.

Another alternative would be a swivel on the middle bench seat. Best of both worlds but not cheap.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:01 am

No, they must be long, as the rear is the original bench (the van is a 2001 model), Interestingly enough, Phil at JAL did not rate the swivel at all. I was thinking of getting one for flexibility but he reckoned they were unsafe.

As it stands, it's manageable, but not ideal
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.

Return to “Bongo Chat”