Airbag Light intermittently flashing on dash and horn not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kimbals
Bongonaut

Airbag Light intermittently flashing on dash and horn not working

Post by Kimbals » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi folks,
Does anybody know why our Airbag light is now flashing a few times, then stops for a few minutes, then flashes again. Plus, the horn is not working.
We have just collected our Bongo from being converted, and I know they did disconnect the battery, if that has anything to do with it?!
Thank you
Mazda Bongo 2.5l V6 Facelift Tin Top. Original Reg 2000UK Reg 2013
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Airbag Light intermittently flashing on dash and horn not working

Post by Bongolia » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:57 am

Was the problem there before the conversion work?
It is likely related to the work they have done during the conversion after all they would have been in among the electrics and probably just dislodged a connection.
I would be looking for them to rectify their error before getting yourself involved with airbags.
Kimbals
Bongonaut

Post by Kimbals » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:32 am

Bongolia wrote:Was the problem there before the conversion work?
It is likely related to the work they have done during the conversion after all they would have been in among the electrics and probably just dislodged a connection.
I would be looking for them to rectify their error before getting yourself involved with airbags.
I've had enough problems trying to get the work finished, 3 1/2 months for an initial 4-6 wk job, as quoted. I'd prefer just to get the issue sorted out myself.
Mazda Bongo 2.5l V6 Facelift Tin Top. Original Reg 2000UK Reg 2013
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:35 am

Turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times, is there any grating sound at one extreme or the other?

If they've had the whole steering wheel assembly off and the front wheel alignment has moved before it's been refitted, the airbag clock-spring could be broken which would explain both symptoms. Both will be an MoT fail of course.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:48 am

Blimey!
I would still be writing to them asking them to rectify the fault in a reasonable period of time say three days and by a specific date.
If they didn't, wouldn't or couldn't then I would put them on notice that you intend to get the fault rectified elsewhere and give them the bill. Could be potentially expensive job and as previous poster states it is an MOT and safety critical issue and could invalidate your insurance in the event of an accident.
Incidentally in a small claims court/ money order situation you only have to show "probability" and it seems very probable that they have damaged the unit during the fitting.
Best of luck m8
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:30 pm

Certainly sounds like the clockspring. I'd make sure that it could have been them causing the problem before I started talking about putting them on notice or taking small claims court action. Seems unlikely that any work they have undertaken during the conversion could have caused it unless they have done other work as well. Could just be coincidence, does happen.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Kimbals.
Is this same problem you posted about in March or was that resolved?

Return to “Techie Stuff”