Picking up my Bongo tomorrow - am I mad?!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Picking up my Bongo tomorrow - am I mad?!

Post by ktsok » Wed May 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello all!
So, after dreaming about a camper for years and finally getting my hands on a (little) bit of dosh, I browsed and browsed for an affordable getaway. Went through the whole VW vs Bongo rite of passage and the Bongo came up trumps for a number of reasons. I am part exchanging my Toyota Rav for a 1995 4x4 autotop, 85k miles, unconverted at present. The plan is to squeeze a self-build through the DVLA requirements to turn it into a motor home...
I'm having kittens. The old MOTs show loads of advisories for rust and corrosion. Less recently so some work has been done, but it is a long way from being a pristine example. The dealer is doing some welding and undersealing it. I'm already trepidatious at the prospect of the fuel costs - it will be my only vehicle so needs to be driven every day for work and school run; also parking (I'll have to start getting up earlier to drop my son at breakfast club just so I can bag a larger space in our tiny office car park!); also the insurance was a bit of a shocker, double that of my Rav, I have had quotes around the £400 mark; also the coolant issues I see posted everywhere!
On the upside - I don't need a pristine vehicle, I have a great local mechanic who has serviced Bongos before, I camp every weekend or have to drive stupid distances to the rocks I climb and I LOVE it (Bongo Bill?) already.
Am I mad? Any reassurance greatly appreciated!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Picking up my Bongo tomorrow - am I mad?!

Post by cmm303 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:28 pm

Absolutely mad. Should have picked it up yesterday :lol:

Welcome!

Sounds like you are going into it with your eyes open to the Bongos strengths and weaknesses. Invest in an LCA as a minimum, preferably also a temp gauge and keep the cooling system in good repair (by a Bongo expert) to fend off the overheating nasties.

Parking shouldn't be a problem. They fit comfortably in normal spaces and have excellent all round visibility.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 11, 2016 8:32 pm

Sounds great, welcome to the Forum. :D
ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ktsok » Wed May 11, 2016 8:37 pm

cmm303 wrote:Absolutely mad. Should have picked it up yesterday :lol:
I could almost hear the dealer sighing when I phoned AGAIN today to see if Bill was ready :D

I have booked an hour with my mechanic for a Bongo lesson, but can't imagine I'll be installing-coolant-alarm-ready just yet. I'll browse the forum for where to buy.

Thanks for the encouragement!
ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ktsok » Wed May 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Bob wrote:Sounds great, welcome to the Forum. :D
Cheers Bob!
dollyanna2
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by dollyanna2 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:08 am

Mine is far easier to park than my little skoda felicia, I love reverse parking it into tight spaces, never thought I would actually enjoy parking!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 12, 2016 7:33 am

Completely mad! Welcome aboard :-)
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Thu May 12, 2016 10:05 pm

We never regretted getting ours. Had for quite a few years now!
Think coolant system check is is one of main firsts, radiator condition, hoses etc. We had water pump replaced early on on oursas a precaution.
Reliability has been excellent over the years with trips to France and Many to northern Scotland .
Easy to drive, brilliant can't believe for a 20 yr old vehicle.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 12, 2016 10:25 pm

I keep telling myself its time to sell the Bongo and move on but honestly, there's nothing else out there that offers what my Bongo does, or that is likely to give such great value for money. I mean, its the most practical all round useful car ever conceived, fun to drive in both town and (especially) country, and i can even live in it wherever i choose to roam. What's not to like. I'm going to have to put some money into it, but so be it i think.
ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ktsok » Fri May 13, 2016 10:31 am

Ahh, I'm feeling the Bongo love in the room! Thanks for the replies guys, I'm really looking forward to life as a Bongonaut and it's really reassuring to know there are lots of you (us!) out there.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Fri May 13, 2016 10:44 am

Yep reiterating the above, completely mad but you'll love it. On the parking issue, as has been suggested it is very easy to park being narrow and not that long really. My other halfs old Astra estate was bigger and much more difficult to park.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri May 13, 2016 3:08 pm

ktsok wrote:Ahh, I'm feeling the Bongo love in the room! Thanks for the replies guys, I'm really looking forward to life as a Bongonaut and it's really reassuring to know there are lots of you (us!) out there.
Good luck. You are almost certain to get stuck with a big bill or two at some point (and maybe sooner rather than later) so try and have the £s held in reserve in case it happens. Do regular inspections and work on the basis of spending ahead of trouble on planned maintenance, prevention and improvement (in that order i think), because a Bongo - unlike yer average car - is worth it.

Where are you based by the way? You could use identifying good local sources for both mechanical and bodywork related needs.
Parhelion
Bongonaut

Post by Parhelion » Fri May 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Damned inspiring stuff! Hoping to be in the same position shortly with same trepidations! On the subject of good mechanics etc, I'm in Dorset.
ktsok
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ktsok » Fri May 13, 2016 6:48 pm

I'm in Kent, so Dorset is a bit of push I'm afraid!

I am deliriously excited. Picked up Billie today and discovered I was driving along with a massive smile on my face. I have loaded her up with my stove, put the mattress up top and am off on my first adventure first thing. Driving an automatic took a bit of getting used to, as did the waiting for longer gaps in the traffic to pull out, but hey, what's the hurry?!

I seem to be having conversations about campers with everyone who passes by, I feel quite smug. I'll ride that wave as long as possible!

P.s. What on earth is the S and L and overdrive button used for?!

If I can figure out how to upload pics I'll update my conversion when I have decided what to do. I couldn't shift the bolts for the rear seat on one side with my naff spanner so it's as it is this weekend, am so impressed with the versatility of this original design though.

Love it!!!
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri May 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Quote ktsok
"P.s. What on earth is the S and L and overdrive button used for?!"

Theres a link on here somewhere that will explain all the gearbox letters and also the hold button.
Ive looked but cant find it
Im sure someone will know where to look and post the link soon

Oh,and welcome to the madhouse :lol:

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"

Return to “Bongo Chat”