Bongo leaking today :(

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Bongo leaking today :(

Post by sotal » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:42 pm

The Bongo has left a nice trail up the drive.

It's going in to be looked at in the morning but is there anything common that leaks near the rear drivers side. I'd like to be more specific but everything round there is wet. From the spring to the diesel tank. I thought at first it was diesel but it doesn't smell string enough to me so perhaps Gearbox fluid?

Brake fluid level is normal, coolant level normal.

Just wondered if there was a common fault to look for in that area?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo leaking today :(

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Do you have a conversion?

Could it be fresh or waste water, or a split container of something in the back?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:10 am

Good suggestion, the waste outlet does come out in that region and yes it has a mid conversion.

However it doesn't appear to be anything to do with that. The stuff that leaked yesterday is still there on the drive now :( definitely not water.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:57 am

Assuming it's an autobox, have a good look under the driver's side behind the door, there are three small diameter steel pipes going from there to the front, one of them is to do with the rear heater and the other two are the feed & return from the gearbox to the cooler. All three pipes tend to corrode where the are bent through 90 degrees.

Patchup repairs are possible but the pipes are available as spares, fitting is a bit of a nightmare as a lot needs to be stripped out to do it but it is a common problem.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:36 am

Correct! :lol:

It was the gearbox cooler pipes, booked in for next week to be sorted.

They weren't sure if it would be covered by the warranty as they said if it had rusted through it would be wear and tear, but I'd have thought that would be exactly what the warranty would cover against?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:58 am

sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:50 pm

Bongo back again!

The offending pipe has been replaced. Fingers crossed that is it now - it has spent more time at the garage than at home recently!

The bad thing now is that we've been getting the bits ready to go away again and we can't find the awning poles anywhere! We went away last in October and it was raining so we brought the awning back wet and hung it up in the garage to dry. I presume the poles were around but can't find them anywhere :oops:

Phoned the campsite but they can't remember anyone leaving any (we tend to be very good at checking that we don't leave anything)

Return to “Techie Stuff”