suspension

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Eric
Apprentice Bongonaut

suspension

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 am

I appear to have a problem with my rear suspension.I have replaced the rear droplinks the anti role bar twice recently but within weeks the internal bushes have loosened causing a knocking when I hit a bump.there is nothing visually wrong but someone
suggested that the shocks may be faulty. Any ideas would be gratefully received.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Re: suspension

Post by wonkanoby » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:40 am

did you do the rubbers and brackets hold a/r bar as well
Eric
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 am

wonkanoby wrote:did you do the rubbers and brackets hold a/r bar as well

I replaced the rubbers but not the brackets as they appeared OK
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 am

Eric wrote:I appear to have a problem with my rear suspension.I have replaced the rear droplinks the anti role bar twice recently but within weeks the internal bushes have loosened causing a knocking when I hit a bump.there is nothing visually wrong but someone
suggested that the shocks may be faulty. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

What do you mean by internal bushes? ARB bushes? Droplinks? Have you checked an ARB u-bracket hasn't failed as this was what happened to me when I fitted new rubbers with old brackets.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi
If the new rubbers are only lasting a couple of weeks before becoming worn enough to allow enough movement to cause knocking again I would suspect that the quality is very poor. Are you buying from a reputable source?
With respect to the shocks being faulty, I wouldn't have thought that they would be responcable. They are dampening the movment of the suspension, and the unless yours are completly shot it & your driving on shockingly poor roads a couple of weeks of driving shouldn't be enough to wear out ARB bushes. Bearing in mind that the originals have lasted many years & thousands of miles I would suspect quality of the bushes in the first instant.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:17 pm

A useful tip is that you may not need to replace bushes - you can sleeve them with bicycle inner tube. I did this with my front ones like that and 5 MOTs later.....no problem. Thanks to ex BF mechanic Dandywarhol for that one :-)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi
The answer is not to buy cheap, or better still, use polyurethane bushes...miles ahead of anything else!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 pm

Is it defo the suspension that's knocking ? how much clearance is there between the exhaust and rear axel, is the spare wheel loose ?
Eric
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
The answer is not to buy cheap, or better still, use polyurethane bushes...miles ahead of anything else!
Cheers
Helen

Where can I get these Bushes as they might be the answer, all the best Eric
Eric
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:34 pm

M 80NGO wrote:Is it defo the suspension that's knocking ? how much clearance is there between the exhaust and rear axel, is the spare wheel loose ?
No its definitely the bushes in the droplinks, you can see the play when you rock the bongo
Eric
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Eric wrote:I appear to have a problem with my rear suspension.I have replaced the rear droplinks the anti role bar twice recently but within weeks the internal bushes have loosened causing a knocking when I hit a bump.there is nothing visually wrong but someone

What do you mean by internal bushes? ARB bushes? Droplinks? Have you checked an ARB u-bracket hasn't failed as this was what happened to me when I fitted new rubbers with old brackets.

I mean the internal bushes on the droplinks,(you can see the play in them when you rock the bongo)
Eric
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:43 pm

WINDYWATSON wrote:Hi
If the new rubbers are only lasting a couple of weeks before becoming worn enough to allow enough movement to cause knocking again I would suspect that the quality is very poor. Are you buying from a reputable source?
With respect to the shocks being faulty, I wouldn't have thought that they would be responcable. They are dampening the movment of the suspension, and the unless yours are completly shot it & your driving on shockingly poor roads a couple of weeks of driving shouldn't be enough to wear out ARB bushes. Bearing in mind that the originals have lasted many years & thousands of miles I would suspect quality of the bushes in the first instant.

Cheers
If the droplinks are inferior they are coming from the bongo shop (what more can I say)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Eric wrote:
WINDYWATSON wrote:Hi

Cheers
If the droplinks are inferior they are coming from the bongo shop (what more can I say)
Hmmm. If they are at fault Ian will refun/replace i'm sure - he's very good like that. Most unusual for them to fail so soon. Did you make sure the Bongo was sat evenly on its suspension when you tightened them, to ensure no torque was induced in the bushes?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:36 am

Hi
Poly bushes might suit if you're getting problems due to wearing quickly, as there can be a number of factors causing early failures not associated with wear on other components.
Firstly, I'd check the rest of the rear suspension for wear, or you'll forever be replacing "bits".
I'm going to look into poly bushes myself, as we have appalling roads over here, and I have replaced the whole front suspension, but I fear the bushes will go. I have a link somewhere, and I believe it has been discussed on here, so a search may find the firm supplying possible replacements
They won't be listed as "Bongo" parts, but sold by measurements, so it's a case of checking a new one and ordering once you've measured
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Techie Stuff”