Second service (suspension, head gasket and underbody)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Second service (suspension, head gasket and underbody)

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm

I documented my first DIY service here (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52252), and I will do the same for the second. I hope to take a bunch of photos and write up those jobs not yet documented on the wiki (http://mazdabongo.wikispaces.com/Servicing).

Here is what's all for me to do:

[*] have head tested and skimmed
[*] new head gasket and bolts
[*] new thermostat
[*] new/replacement header tank
[*] new cambelt and tensioner
[*] lower ball joints
[*] wishbone bushes (probably)
[*] track rod ends
[*] front drop links
[*] rear drop links
[*] front and rear anti-roll bar bushes
[*] fit winter tyres, possibly on 2nd set of wheels
[*] wheel alignment
[*] oil and oil filter
[*] fuel filter
[*] air filter
[*] diff oil
[*] underbody (wire brush, wash/dry, degrease, Fertan, ACF-50 and Waxoyl schutz)
[*] full body wax

We have a winter baby on the way. 8)

I've stopped short of sourcing an LSD for the back end.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Second service (suspension, head gasket and underbody)

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Did you check the tappets on the first service when you changed the rocker cover gasket Matt. A while ago Ady told me that he thought my tappets were a bit noisy, I got a second oppinion from dandywarhol who directed me to a garage in Edinbugh. When the job was done I was told that three of my tappets were a bit out. Engine sounds much better now so I am told.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:54 pm

I'll go and google what a tappet is. ;)
Image Image
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Nothing like a through job. We'll turn you into a mechanic yet Matt. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:36 pm

I've had a quote locally of £35 for a head skim, no pressure test. Turnaround could be same day.

I need to remove the head and visually inspect it as soon as I can, really. My job after tea is to tidy the garage, finish a bit of woodwork and then get the van in and strip out the innards and get the bumpers off.

Can you DIY pressure test a head?
Image Image
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Update: just secured tomorrow and next week off work. Phew!
Image Image
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi Matt let me know if you need any tools. I got a head done at Andersons in Kirkcaldy on the same Estate as Bongo Bill is that who you are going to use?
Peter
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:25 pm

peterrc wrote:Hi Matt let me know if you need any tools. I got a head done at Andersons in Kirkcaldy on the same Estate as Bongo Bill is that who you are going to use?
Peter
Thanks, Peter.

Bill recommended them. Reckons he's charged £80 for a pressure test and skim. The £35 skim is a guy in a neighbouring village who seems to do quick work for various local garages. He reckons I'd be daft to take a head off and not have it skimmed. I'm wondering whether I'd be daft to take a head off and not have it pressure tested. That's why the first step is visual inspection and I'll go from there. (I know I'm not going to see a crack.) Logic suggests that if I'm going to all the bother anyway...
Image Image
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Just remembered that I've got a stripped the casting on the front of the block, below the front of the head. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52378 for details and discussion of repair options.
Image Image
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:46 pm

MountainGoat wrote:Did you check the tappets on the first service when you changed the rocker cover gasket Matt. A while ago Ady told me that he thought my tappets were a bit noisy, I got a second oppinion from dandywarhol who directed me to a garage in Edinbugh. When the job was done I was told that three of my tappets were a bit out. Engine sounds much better now so I am told.

Tony
Tony,
What was the name & location of the Edinburgh garage, I may get them to do some work on my v6 in the future.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

get a HOT pressure test done matt,

its not the head though. :wink:
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm

It's not the 'stat, either. :P
Image Image
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:36 pm

PM sent Jim.

Tony
rhino-wayne
Bongolier

Post by rhino-wayne » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi Matt & all,

Here's my list for my overheated SORNed Bongo :? :( : (Overheating)

[*] have head tested and skimmed
[*] new head gasket and bolts
[*] new thermostat -DONE
[*] new/replacement header tank
[*] new cambelt and tensioner
[*] lower ball joints
[*] wishbone bushes (probably)
[*] track rod ends DONE
[*] front drop links DONE
[*] rear drop links DONE
[*] front and rear anti-roll bar bushes
[*] fit winter tyres, DONE
[*] wheel alignmentDONE
[*] oil and oil filter DONE
[*] fuel filter DONE
[*] air filter DONE
[*] diff oil
[*] underbody (wire brush, wash/dry, degrease, Fertan, ACF-50 and Waxoyl schutz) PARTLY
[*] full body wax ONGOING

Will be following your progress! think I may have a twin Bongo!

=D>
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:45 pm

rhino-wayne wrote:Will be following your progress! think I may have a twin Bongo!
=D>
If that's not an excuse for a meet, I don't know what is. :wink: Yours got a name?

My career as a mechanic began with this van. I wanted something I could work on easily just to get my hand in a bit with vehicles. I'd never done an oil change until this time last year. After fixing a few of the things last time like the front exhaust section and the rocker cover gasket, I started to look forward to getting the head off at some point. Be careful what you wish for... #-o :lol: :lol:

My last MOT earlier this year threw up the rear drop link rubbers. I had started to notice noise at the back end so it was no real surprise to me. What was a surprise was that only a month or two later, the front end went and both ball joints and track rod ends were visibly shot, rubbers at least. I suppose that if one thing goes and you don't see to it immediately, then other parts are going to start to fail soon, too. Whatever, they're always going to have to be replaced at some point. I can do all that when the head's away getting tested/skimmed.

The problems with the coolant system have been ongoing since Stourport and are well documented on here. In a nutshell, I'm not (noticeably) loosing coolant but under load, I'm topping out on pressure quite easily and the cap vents. It's done >2000 miles since my first overheat, and only one since and that was merely "warm". I suspect that it is gasket only, it's marginal - the fact that it's still going is encouraging. In fitting a pressure sensor to my header tank, I've now made a right mess (and a poor seal) on the header tank and have never been able to see through it. A bright 12V led wired in behind any header tank is going to improve things quite some, but I hope to replace mine anyway.

The invoice for the underseal done on import was £50 and to my eye, it's there, but incomplete. Billibongo in Fife picked up on the start of the rust on the front cross member, and where I had the sill repaired on the driver's side, it appears no protective nothing was applied when the work was done. Fertan was recommended by mikexgough, it's an overcoatable ferric acid rust converter which can be easily applied with a brush. ACF-50 is a water displacer and thin-film anticorrosion treatment commonly used in quantity on aircraft, boats and motorbikes, recommended by Velocette. It can be sprayed, brushed or wiped on but stays wet so it must be applied as a thin-film otherwise crap will embed itself. This process or some variant thereof is going to be the treatment for every bit of exposed metalwork I find. The schutz is then mainly just for the high-traffic areas. If I'm under there every few months for some reason or another, then I can keep it topped up. It's only going to cost me a J-cloth. :D

Anyway, it's all a learning curve. I'm just sharing what I'm doing on here in case it helps someone else. "Learn from my mistakes" and all that. None of what I'm finding out about these vans is new, but it's all very satisfying and a bit of fun. 8) 8)

I am eternally in debt to the folk on here who share their wisdom freely, write factsheets, bisect components and get their hands dirty helping other folk. =D>
Image Image

Return to “Techie Stuff”