Flush Fog Light

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ford tinny

Flush Fog Light

Post by ford tinny » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:38 pm

Hello, Im thinking of buying one of those flush fitting fog lights and getting rid of my dangly one. Has any one fitted one of these and if so can you share how to fit the fog light in the rear bumper with me.
Thanks John (ford tinny)
You've Been Bongod
Supreme Being

Re: Flush Fog Light

Post by You've Been Bongod » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:43 pm

ford tinny wrote:Hello, Im thinking of buying one of those flush fitting fog lights and getting rid of my dangly one. Has any one fitted one of these and if so can you share how to fit the fog light in the rear bumper with me.
Thanks John (ford tinny)

john ask bigdaddycain as he has fitted 2 in his bumper and uses them as fog lights and reverse lights

you've been bongod
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Hello Mr tinny...

First off.... mask the area you want to fit the flush foggy(ies) Check behind the bumper first for the strengthening columns.

Then i drilled a hole in each corner, when i was happy all was level and true...

And colour coded the surrounds of course....

Then, the hole can be cut using a conventional jigsaw,slow and carefully....

Please remember to cut the hole to size for the INNER part of the lamp...the shroud has to fit OVER the bumper....

No more snapped off danglies! :shock:

ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
ford tinny

Flush Fog Light

Post by ford tinny » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks BDC, My dangly is hanging buy it's last thread. I will now buy one of those flush fitting lights and fit in confidence
Thanks John (ford tinny)
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:10 pm

No probs john... I got a bit fed up of snapping mine off at the jetwash,as the lance hose would get caught on my dangly :shock: It became a weekly routine of replacing the lights.... :evil:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:14 pm

If you don't have a jigsaw you can drill small holes all around the masked area, open out with a small round file, then tidy with a flat b******. (Proper file, honest.)
s.w.blackwell

Post by s.w.blackwell » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi all

My fog light is actually in the cluster, it has the reverse light in that side modifed to red and re-wired to a seperate switch. Looks v neat.

cheers
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 pm

As long as you use a new blade, you can cut a very clean quick hole using a stanley knife - this time of year I warm the area with a hairdrier (well hot air gun :roll: ) - mark ou the line and push the blade all the way through. Then apply gentle pressure along the line.
This method works very well, but if you try to cut with the tip only then the blade can slip and cause a nasty cut (to bumper or hand :wink: ).
coco bongo

Post by coco bongo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:28 pm

I was one of the lucky ones that had the flush fit already. a much better idea though, as ive seen so many broken dangly ones.

Best of luck with your fitting!

Darren
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:49 pm

When I did mine I stitch drilled all around the opening. It provided good insurance against the cutting device wandering off line. As madmile says, the plastic yields surprisingly easily to a Stanley knife blade, so you could us that with a wiggling action and side pressure without much danger of slipping. You can also abuse your drill :shock: by using it as a crude router with sideways pressure so that it breaks through to each stitch drilled hole - the bumper plastic yields well to that approach too. Then, as Bob says, a flat file will finish off the opening quite nicely although it is not essential as the foglamp cover plates hide all that stuff anyway. But stitch drilling is the key as it prevent you wandering badly off line. 8)

Talking of bumpers, did anyone notice some lucky b*gger recently won a front bumper AND a back bumper on ebay for £54. Now thats what I call cheap insurance!
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:33 am

You've got me thinking now mike.... I may have used the drill method (then filing) to cut the holes in my bumper... It certainly rings a bell...

I assumed i'd used a jigsaw,but now i'm not so sure :?

Thanks to you mike for putting me onto these flush foggies too mate,i probably wouldn't have chanced doing it,if it wasn't for your excellent write up at the time.... :wink:
dp bradford
Bongolier

Post by dp bradford » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:37 pm

Bob wrote:....then tidy with a flat b******. (Proper file, honest.)
When I was at school the metalwork room had all the file handles colour coded; Second Cut were red, the others were painted black :shock: - I bet they wouldn't get away with that these days :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:57 pm

A pleasure BDC - sounds like your memory is becoming as dodgy as mine. It has its upside though. I can watch my favourite movies, like Terminator, Die Hard, Top Gun etc. and every time is like watching it for the first time :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:01 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:A pleasure BDC - sounds like your memory is becoming as dodgy as mine.

....I know i was gonna type summat.... hang on, it'll come to me..... . . . .
tridentlee

Post by tridentlee » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:01 pm

i am still waiting to fit mine ( its to friggin cold & dark to do when i get home from work ) the weekends are taken up with pounding the streets of london on a moped trying to get to grips with the london knowledge, so i am aiming for boxing day to fit, this write up will come in very handy for me, cheers, lee.

merry xmas my fellow bongoer's & a very prosperous new year to you all.

\:D/ :lol: \:D/

Return to “Techie Stuff”