ABS Light

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Lemner
Bongonaut

ABS Light

Post by Lemner » Sun May 07, 2023 12:56 pm

Hello All,
I have a 1996 2.5D Ford Freda. An expensive light has recently been troubling me- 4W ABS!
I've had a look online and found a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az3eHuXDW8E that shows how to retrieve flash codes on the dashboard.
I have connected the pin to ground as shown, but do not then get a flash code when I turn the ignition on. I suspect I'm missing something.

Heres what happens-
Turn ignition on, ABS light illuminates then goes off.
Shortly after driving the light comes on and stays on.

The resistance of the front 2 sensors shows them both around 1.6k so I suspect it may be one of the rear ones or something else. Where do the rear sensors connect to the loom?

Any help would be greatly received.
Clever people the Japanese.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: ABS Light

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 07, 2023 1:16 pm

If you switch Off then the codes are normally lost, once the ABS light is flashing then you need to read the codes then, leave the engine running whilst there read. There are several Youtubes on replacing using ABS sensors using sensors for other makes/models which are a LOT cheaper!!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Lemner
Bongonaut

Post by Lemner » Sun May 07, 2023 4:03 pm

Hello Geoff,
Many thanks for your help. I now have a fault code 11 which points toward the front right sensor.
This is odd as the resistance reading was OK earlier.
I've checked the brake lights and fuse, apart from a damaged wire between the connector and ABS controller- can you think of anything else please?
I would have thought if a wire was broken the light would stay on after start up, i'll try disconnecting one of the sensors to replicate this and see what happens.

Just a thought, do you know where I can find a wiring diagram for this system?

I've seen a thread on this forum advising to check the connections in the multi-way block just above the ABS pump. Is this where the wires from the sensors go to or do they go to the ABS ECU? Am I correct in thinking the ABS ECU is near to the diagnostic socket?

Best regards
Ian
Clever people the Japanese.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 07, 2023 4:29 pm

I had problems with mine over a few days when there was heavy dew in the mornings, the moisture would get thru the connector seal on the front and earth one side of the detector coil (sensor) this caused the fault, so first drive each morning had a the ABS light come on at startup, Once I had driven a couple of miles and restarted then fault would go. Once I got home I cleaned the cables at the front, opened the connectors and squirted in WD40 closed them again and another squirt and never had a problem since. I have noted others having the same problem, all seemed to be able to clear the problem the same way.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”