MOT History Query

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Mcfluff1984
Junior Bongonaut

MOT History Query

Post by Mcfluff1984 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Folks,

Has anyone ever encountered issues with mileage on the online MOT history checker?

I am looking at a vehicle that shows the odometer reading in km for its first 2 MOT's since registered in the UK (i appreciate this will be the case for imports). However the 3rd MOT odometer reading changes to miles but in the completely wrong way.

Is anyone willing to view the report online and provide some feedback (N46 XBR - Mazda).

I am keen to view the vehcile as it looks in decent nick but this definitely scares me. Apart from that the MOT history seems pretty decent.

Any help advice appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: MOT History Query

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:52 am

The readings often vary, the testing garage don't have any obvious way of checking what the Odometer displays so they just stick down the value and what they are expecting as the units. The only way to ensure is check yourself ASAP after the test and report it back to them ASAP I think they have 48 hours (?) in which to modify the record. Even putting a large notice on the dashboard doesn't always work!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:54 am

I think the computer defaults to mies and the tester needs to know/remember to change it to kms when writing up MOT on line.

As long as the number is bigger I'd guess its just been missed and actualy still reads in kms, although it may have a new speedo fitted.

I wouldn't be too worried if all else is good, owner may even know the answer. :wink:
Mcfluff1984
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mcfluff1984 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:06 pm

In this particular case it's gone from 118,130 kms to 24,000 miles. Something not quite right as garage advertising vehicle as 67,000 miles.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:44 pm

118,130 kms equates to nearly 74 thousand miles

My own opinion is to go for a motor with a (110 /20) MPH face as opposed to one that is 180 MPH ..

With after market "stick over" 110 MPH faces the odo still reads in kilometers covered from the day it left the Factory .

180 MPH faces tend to indicate that it is the original KPH face, and the speedo is electronically chipped so the needle is shown as MPH on the face .. and the odo now reads in miles covered ..

BUT ... although the odo now reads in miles covered .. this is added to the original KMs covered so the overall "mileage" is inaccurate ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Looking at the records it shows high KMs at the first record and then drop when it switches to Miles. I would suspect the speedo has been changed. so you need to add the original Kms to the current miles reading then subtract the first miles reading to get an accurate/approximate picture. :? :?

Yes, it is correct that the "Device", as they call it , default is miles, unless the tester is made aware it will usually be recorded thus.

It looks like it was pretty well maintained in its early life and not so much later on as the advisories are carried forward on a couple of occasions. It would be worth checking the corrosion referred to in one of the tests though.

If you do buy it presumably it will come with a full years MOT, personally my next stop after picking the vehicle up would be an MOT station a goodly distance away from the dealer and pay for another test for your own benefit.
Its cheap insurance and easier if you have a problem to argue your case.
Most dealers are pretty straight but they do tend to use the same station for all there tests and you really want an unbiased test :wink:
If you do do that it will show up on that stations "Device" that it is not due for test, but they must carry out the test if you ask them to.
Good luck
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:01 am

Please excuse my ignorance,but can anyone give me a link to the website that has all this info, that everyone seems to be looking at??

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:15 am

Bongo Fury, Brian.

Or the PNC.

OK, I'll get me coat. :oops:

Could be here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Bob wrote:Bongo Fury, Brian.

Or the PNC.

OK, I'll get me coat. :oops:

Could be here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Bob :lol: :lol: Its 7 yrs since I used that mate,wouldnt know what buttons to press now,even of I could wind it up #-o

Thanks for the link,Mine`s registered as a Mazda Ongo :roll:

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"

Return to “Bongo Chat”