Parts suppliers.

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

weebrian
Bongolier

Parts suppliers.

Post by weebrian » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:32 pm

I had the misfortune, stupidity really, to rear end a car in slow moving traffic on the M6 yesterday. I'm concerned that the insurers may decide it is uneconomical to repair due to lack of parts availability. I've convinced them to let me use a repairer of my choice who is happy to carry out the repairs using second hand parts. i have told him I will get a list of second hand suppliers who may be able to help source the necessary bits.
So to that end, could you lovely people out there make some suggestions please. The damage doesn't seem too bad but I'll need a bumper at least but I'm sure there will be more to be found underneath the surface. Thanks in anticipation.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Re: Parts suppliers.

Post by jimmo62 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:53 pm

www.bongospares.co.uk is a good place to start
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:56 pm

its not really the parts that are removable that are important its the parts that are not, all the bolt on bits are gettable, i wouldnt really worry until the assessor has been, he will evaluate any poss chassis leg steering geometry damage.

i did one using parts from the above including slam panel, bonnet, bumper, grill, rads . all in the correct green so no painting, it was well within budget to repair.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:54 pm

weebrian wrote:I had the misfortune, stupidity really, to rear end a car in slow moving traffic on the M6 yesterday. I'm concerned that the insurers may decide it is uneconomical to repair due to lack of parts availability. I've convinced them to let me use a repairer of my choice who is happy to carry out the repairs using second hand parts. i have told him I will get a list of second hand suppliers who may be able to help source the necessary bits.
So to that end, could you lovely people out there make some suggestions please. The damage doesn't seem too bad but I'll need a bumper at least but I'm sure there will be more to be found underneath the surface. Thanks in anticipation.

If this is your thought, for your safety and others ,this vehicle should be drop tested /jigged, your Insurance company will know this procedure should be carried out but as it normally involves a great deal of extra unknown expense they usually write off the vehicle.

Its Your choice what you do but it is also Your Responsibility.

You need to consider the age of these vehicles and the rust/corrosion problems that can / will exist especially as has been mentioned regarding out riggers? chassis legs? cross members / etc.

Its your Choice....
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:59 am

teenmal wrote:
weebrian wrote:I had the misfortune, stupidity really, to rear end a car in slow moving traffic on the M6 yesterday. I'm concerned that the insurers may decide it is uneconomical to repair due to lack of parts availability. I've convinced them to let me use a repairer of my choice who is happy to carry out the repairs using second hand parts. i have told him I will get a list of second hand suppliers who may be able to help source the necessary bits.

If this is your thought, for your safety and others ,this vehicle should be drop tested /jigged, your Insurance company will know this procedure should be carried out but as it normally involves a great deal of extra unknown expense they usually write off the vehicle.

Its Your choice what you do but it is also Your Responsibility.

You need to consider the age of these vehicles and the rust/corrosion problems that can / will exist especially as has been mentioned regarding out riggers? chassis legs? cross members / etc.

Its your Choice....

Absolutely, but i'd have hoped that since Bongos are not structurally as complex as more modern vehicles that visual inspection and geometry checking ought to reveal if there has been significant damage/compromising of the structure?
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks for your help and thoughts guys. I've had a look as best as I can without starting to dismantle and can't see anything obvious that can't be replaced. Normally with a frontal collision which has caused any structural damage, the result would be that wings and other panels would be displaced, which is not the case here. Even the headlights seem to be exactly where they should be so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Return to “Bongo Chat”