Bongo died in France with lots of white smoke out of back

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Asda Bongo
Bongonaut

Bongo died in France with lots of white smoke out of back

Post by Asda Bongo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:59 am

My Bongo died on the motorway in France. Suddenly no power and a large cloud of white smoke out of the back for a few minutes.
It has now been repatriated to a garage in the UK. I had assumed Head Gasket etc.
They called me to say that they feel it needs a replacement engine as the heat with no fluid will have done irreparable damage.
Are they pulling a fast one. The bongo had lots of fluid as the steam kept on coming. How can I tell.
I have looked into getting a reconditioned engine or second hand one, but the cost of getting the bongo to the garage many miles away will be very expensive. Do I risk a second hand engine or should I go for reconditioned or should I get someone to repair my engine?

Hard to know when you can't see the vehicle, but help appreciated.

At least it came back from France. With the passenger window breaking before we went and the rusty wheel arches and some rust on the bodywork, should I just get another second hand bongo and annoy the neighbours and keep this one for parts.

Help and advice appreciated.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo died in France with lots of white smoke out of bac

Post by David Edwards » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:26 pm

I have said A few times before, I had a replacement engine from george at bongospares, very good price and a perfect engine delivered straight to my mechanic, it was wrapped like a present, lol and is still perfect 3 years later, worth a ring 07836 598528.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Asda Bongo wrote: Are they pulling a fast one. The bongo had lots of fluid as the steam kept on coming.
Sorry to hear of you troubles. I had a minor blip in Poland in 2008 and it's very scary when you're in a different country and don't speak the lingo.

The trouble is that lots of steam means the coolant has boiled away by that point. For a sudden failure, it may have been a hose that split and a lot of coolant was lost causing the engine to overheat and loose power. Do you have a low coolant alarm or any other form for addtional temperature gauge?

My gut feeling is that loss of power and the steam at motorway speeds means the engine is beyond repair. Quite difficult to establish the amount of damage done without fully knowing the cause but if it were me, I'd source a replacement engine, fit new cambelt and water pump and replace the whole lot. It's important to check the cooling system thoroughly as perished hoses, rusted steel water pipes or damaged/blocked radiator will need to be replaced regardless.
Asda Bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Asda Bongo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks for the advice, I get the feeling that it will be a reconditioned engine, and I will get a coolant alarm. I can't be without my bongo.

Return to “Techie Stuff”