Bongo won't start after low oil issue V6

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

minidaz123
Bongolier

Bongo won't start after low oil issue V6

Post by minidaz123 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:50 am

Got a bit of a poorly Bongo at the moment and hoping it's not too bad.
On Thursday the oil light started to flicker, then came on permanently ( journey home from work - about 25 miles ). Started it up the next morning and it was making a rattly noise. Got 1 minute round the corner, louder rattly noise, and the engine died.

Luckily i managed to pull it up next to a curb, and that's where the car still is.

I topped up with oil yesterday, turned the key and the oil light went off but the Bongo wouldn't start. It would turn over but just wouldn't fire enough to start. After a few tries the battery went flat, so i charged it up over night ( now fully charged ), put it back in this morning, and the same thing.

You turn the key, it tries to start ( to the point where the lights on the dashboard nearly go out ) but that's it.

Any ideas on what the issue might be ? I know I should have checked the oil on a regular basis - but hoping it's not something too serious.
There doesn't appear to be any leaks.

Cheers, Darren
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo won't start after low oil issue

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Now .. It may not be the quantity of oil but the quality .. if the oil as not been checked regularly .. then it may not have been changed 'on time' leaving a thick gungy sludge in the sump instead of lubricating oil ..

Maybe ... a flush out .. and fresh oil will lube the parts that the sludge cannot reach ..??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi minidaz123,how much oil did the engine take to put it on the full mark.

How far did you drive it with the Warning light on.
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:24 pm

An oil light IS NOT A LEVEL CHECK. The light indicates that there is a LOSS OF OIL PRESSURE which means the oil is not being fed round the engine. Any vehicle with an oil light showing should not be driven until it is determined if the problem is oil pressure or an electrical fault in the system. From what you say in you case you engine has been starved of lubrication - sorry to say but it has like caused serious internal damage beyond an economical repair.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:15 pm

I believe the Bongo has an oil pressure switch and an oil level switch. They are both signalled by the dashboard oil light (via ECU iirc). I have had slight loss in the past and will get the oil light coming on round a corner one way and going off the other way.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi
Correct...the oil light is also low oil. Two sensors
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
minidaz123
Bongolier

Post by minidaz123 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 pm

It's not sounding great :(
I put in a full 5 litre bottle and the level is sitting just above full.

I know on some cars the oil light is an indication of level ( Toyota Estima oil light would flash to tell you that you had too much ) , so when it came on, we figured that we had time to get it home and sort it. The Bongo light flickered on and off for about 20 miles and only stayed on a few miles from home.

It's parked up just round the corner so hoping to push it home soon and then we'll see if we can get someone to look over it and go from there, but it does sound like it could be terminal :(

Annoyingly we were thinking of possibly selling soon too ... think the Bongo must have overheard our plans.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Lack of oil (IE) level will result in lack of pressure,a choked oil filter will also result in Poor Pressure.The fact that the engine oil had to be topped up (depending on how much oil it took) could be a clue.If an oil warning light comes on the first thing you do is check the Level,no oil no Pressure.

Low oil sensor for the diesel its 10-7301
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... o=.html#17
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi minidaz123,Do you have a V6 ??
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:30 pm

hijimhere wrote:An oil light IS NOT A LEVEL CHECK. The light indicates that there is a LOSS OF OIL PRESSURE which means the oil is not being fed round the engine. Any vehicle with an oil light showing should not be driven until it is determined if the problem is oil pressure or an electrical fault in the system. From what you say in you case you engine has been starved of lubrication - sorry to say but it has like caused serious internal damage beyond an economical repair.
As said above.....the light comes on for low level or low pressure.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
minidaz123
Bongolier

Post by minidaz123 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:48 pm

It's a V6 petrol.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:53 pm

minidaz123 wrote:It's a V6 petrol.

It doesent look too good as the engine only holds about 5 Litres.

This is a long shot,the rattling noise could have been the HLAs being starved of oil,and also the reason for it not starting.

Good Luck.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:20 pm

I think driving it with low oil pressure or level will have done extensive damage, so a 2nd hand engine is likely to be your best bet. They don't come up for sale very often so you're probably looking at £1000 for engine plus the cost of fitting.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Was it a Red or Yellow light that was coming on ...??

I have a V6 Bongo the normal Red light comes on with the ignition and goes off when the engine is spinning over (ie: oil pressure light) ..

I also have a petrol Estima obviously with the same oil pressure red light .. but there is also a yellow light, that in the eight years of owning I have never seen on while driving .. I assume this is 'service light' but unlike the diesel there is no re set button..

Just wondering if there is a yellow 'service light' on the Bongo as I have not noticed one .. ??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:40 pm

Only a single light for both sensors;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”