lack of umph!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mack
Bongolier

lack of umph!

Post by Mack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:48 am

When I'm in a higher gear and put my foot down at 60mph or so, the engine makes the sound of changing down, but nothing happens. With foot flat to the floor it gets slower, if anything. Could it be the turbo?
Dolly1
Bongolier

Re: lack of umph!

Post by Dolly1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:51 am

Yep, Check the small pipe from the Turbo. #-o #-o #-o
SARAH & LIONEL - I Used to be Citroen 2CV "DOLLY" mad but BONGO-MAD lady with not so mad husband now!
Mack
Bongolier

Post by Mack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:55 am

Can you give me directions to said pipe please?
Mack
Bongolier

Post by Mack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:45 pm

I know I'm thick, but can anyone out there point me to were the turbo and pipe are located? I know you are busy people, but it might help me get home today.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Doing a search on "turbo and pipe" found this - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... turbo+pipe - took all of 30 seconds :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Mack
Bongolier

Post by Mack » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Thanks Kirsty,

I assume it is the red one?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:25 pm

The only red one I can see is a wire
dandywarhol wrote:Have you checked the small bore rubber pipe from the turbo to the fuel pump to give excess fuel on boost? It's just under the TPS marked 466

How about a choked intercooler?

Or perhaps a choked silencer?

Do you have the winter kit on the exhaust with the electrically/coolant temp operated valve which sometimes sticks?

Oh, and welcome :)
I would guess its the black pipe directly under the TPS upper right of the photo as Dandy says.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Mack wrote:When I'm in a higher gear and put my foot down at 60mph or so, the engine makes the sound of changing down, but nothing happens. With foot flat to the floor it gets slower, if anything. Could it be the turbo?

Exactly same as mine---i had some work done end of December new top hose--rad cleaned--coolant change--cam belt etc;--i went to Rutland Water a few weeks ago & Mablethorpe after with the Midland crew was'nt very impressed with performance especially uphill-- after seeing this thread i thought i would look at mine-----& sure enough the small hose to the turbo was just dangling there =D> pushed it back on went for a test drive & the difference is amazing,so dead chuffed & cost nowt either :D :D :D
What i'm actually asking is--would it have done any harm (it's been disconnected since December) while being off???
Also thanks to Kirsty & everybody for there input to this question.
PS Mack hope yours was as easy a fix as mine
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Triple/R wrote:
Mack wrote:What i'm actually asking is--would it have done any harm (it's been disconnected since December) while being off???
Shouldn't do - all it does is tell the injector pump that the turbo is supplying more air and that the pump should respond by supplying more fuel to take advantage of the extra air.

It should have meant you were getting a few more mpg - as less fuel would have been injected than should have been.

Running lean doesn't harm a diesel in the same way as it would a petrol, as diesels usually run lean with an unrestricted inlet anyway.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:16 pm

scanner wrote:
Triple/R wrote:
Mack wrote:What i'm actually asking is--would it have done any harm (it's been disconnected since December) while being off???
Shouldn't do - all it does is tell the injector pump that the turbo is supplying more air and that the pump should respond by supplying more fuel to take advantage of the extra air.

It should have meant you were getting a few more mpg - as less fuel would have been injected than should have been.

Running lean doesn't harm a diesel in the same way as it would a petrol, as diesels usually run lean with an unrestricted inlet anyway.

Cheers Scanner i was obviously hoping that :D :D as it's my first Diesel motor i thought the performance was well like a diesel a bit sluggish but now it's like a Farrari (well almost :)
Regards Ray & Christine

Mack
Bongolier

Post by Mack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:58 am

I still can't find any danglng tubes. OK I'm thick when it comes to engines, but could someone please put an arrow on the photo? No point saying it is near this or that, Im afraid - it's a language I don't understand.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:17 am

Mack wrote:I still can't find any danglng tubes. OK I'm thick when it comes to engines, but could someone please put an arrow on the photo? No point saying it is near this or that, Im afraid - it's a language I don't understand.

Hi Mack--your obviously looking under the drivers seat & not the bonnet????
lift drivers seat & you will see black thingy top right with numbers 466 stamped on its the small bore pipe runs underneath that---if you look at picture at bottom theres a large bore pipe on the right follow the picture up & near top of pic theres a small bore pipe thats the one--it could be still attatched but might be split--perished or whatever--sorry but i can't do pics with arrows & things.
Hope this helps
Regards Ray & Christine

brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:20 am

The other end should be connected to the large black pipe to the front of the engine. ( air intake)

Thanks to Dandy for the photo.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
Mack
Bongolier

Post by Mack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:52 am

Thank you. You are a kind lot!
I've had a look and to my untrained eye it seems conected and intact. However, as stated, it could be damaged and does seem a bit short and stretched tight. I will pop into my local bongo friendly garage tommorow and get him to look at it.

Thanks again.

Mack
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi Mack, I have had a similar problem. At first I thought the throttle position sensor was playing up, nope. Changed ATF and cleaned the gearbox filter, nope. So next thought fuel starvation, blocked fuel filter, so changed it, nope, bu**er now i'm getting worried.

Ok so although I had cleaned the thimble filter less than a year ago I took it out, and tried the Bongo without it.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
To infinity and beyond

Return to “Techie Stuff”