Proposed day meet at Wookey Hole Caves, Somerset

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

mrsdreamwarrior
Bongolier

Re: Proposed day meet at Wookey Hole Caves, Somerset

Post by mrsdreamwarrior » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:04 pm

wookey hole caves are spectacular apart from when you have to walk over a walkway with a very big drop eash side,i just walked over sh*ting myself while crying to myself,i get virtigo very bad and i got it then so didnt like it at all until i got on solid ground.really enjoyed the caves apart from that bit,and cheddar gorge.love to come again but its 4 hour trip for us
lizard
Supreme Being

Post by lizard » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:10 am

Bin Bongoed wrote:One of our members is at this moment at the Haybridge site in Wells, she say it is basic (no heating in washroom), very clean and cheap. I cannot recommend any others since, well, I just drive past and go home!

I will attempt to sort out what they mean by camper vans welcome.

http://www.haybridgepark.co.uk/blog/
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

F Zappa
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:41 pm

It seems that there would be sufficient interest to take it further, I'll speak with Wookey Hole caves staff this coming week and see what we can do. I have a mild preference for Sunday but will take guidance from others if they have a strong preference.

I think it will be a good meet!

Geoff
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:57 pm

May be interested in joining you on this one. Will depend on possible knee op in mid February but definitely interested. Any chance of staying over?
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:01 am

:D That's exactly the information were waiting for from the local peeps Jillygumbo,
I believe one or two are looking into the possibilities as we speak =D>
P.S hope the op goes well [-o<
cheers! party on dudes.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:15 pm

It's now a definite knee op in mid February. I'll keep my eye on this though as there's nothing better than driving a bongo with a dodgy left knee! No problem at all!
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:It's now a definite knee op in mid February. I'll keep my eye on this though as there's nothing better than driving a bongo with a dodgy left knee! No problem at all!
I skip read that, thought we were to have a knees up!
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:19 am

Bob wrote:There are 2 campsites as you enter the village, don't know if they do all year, and it's an interesting point that Wookey Hole welcome campers, could we overnight in the huge car park?

The pub also has a car park and might let us stay.
[-o<
The first camp site does not allow vehicles on the site. Probably no tents either! There's a lovely stream that runs through it.

I have spoken with the Wookey Hole Caves people, who say that we are welcome there. With regards to the "Camper Van friendly" statement, they would not be drawn, and merely repeated that they have a very large car park. I read that as saying that they would not mind overnighters as long as it is not too obvious. I intend to nip down there and see if they have barriers at night.

As Bob says, there are local wild camping options, even if on-site proves not possible. I am sure the pub car park could be used, too. As mentioned there are also other local campsites for those wanting amenities and electricity, I'll sort out some info, although some are already on here.

Wookey prices are £15 top whack; £10 concession (OAP, students and children 3 to 14); and under 3s are free.
Family tickets (2+2) are £45. Doesn't seem that great an offer to me.

For group discount we would need more than 12 people, prices for that are £10 adults, and for concessions & kids £8. I would have thought that worthwhile and good value. It should be possible to get more than the minimum 12, but I would need the cash about a week before, as they want to sell all as one lot, after which none can be added at the group discount price.

The 400-seat restaurant will be open, and available to those who do not want to visit the caves. This is good news, because the doors from the restaurant lead to many of the attractions. Whoops, I didn't say that. There are also very good walks around there, some are very steep (hills, that is, walks are free!)

Kirsty has agreed to do her fire juggling thing, I shall need to square that officially with them.

On reflection, since there are people wishing to stay overnight, Saturday seems a better option for the day meet.

The Saturday Market in Wells is well worth a visit.
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:29 am

:D Good work Bin Bongoed, but are you sure you would want to go to the bother of chasing prepayment from all those interested to save just 50p each ? reason been I noticed at the moment if peeps pre book their own tickets on line they can get them for £10.50 per adult and less for the kids =D> :arrow: http://www.wookey.co.uk/booking.htm

Personally speaking at this time of year I would want a hook up and warm shower at the end of the day so I have checked with Haybridge site and they are open for business that weekend and are actually only 15 mins walk from the Caves or Wells, which for the evening pub grub / cider fest sounds scrummy to me \:D/
Now all I need to do is confirm this with the boss (kerry) tonight and I'm away with the mixer.

N.B - Wookey Caves WILL NOT entertain our furry friends (Scully will be gutted :cry: ) She will have a fit when I pull out of our drive without her.

Whats your thoughts ?
cheers! party on dudes.
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:50 am

crazy uncle gray g wrote::D Good work Bin Bongoed, but are you sure you would want to go to the bother of chasing prepayment from all those interested to save just 50p each ? reason been I noticed at the moment if peeps pre book their own tickets on line they can get them for £10.50 per adult and less for the kids =D> :arrow: http://www.wookey.co.uk/booking.htm

Personally speaking at this time of year I would want a hook up and warm shower at the end of the day so I have checked with Haybridge site and they are open for business that weekend and are actually only 15 mins walk from the Caves or Wells, which for the evening pub grub / cider fest sounds scrummy to me \:D/
Now all I need to do is confirm this with the boss (kerry) tonight and I'm away with the mixer.

N.B - Wookey Caves WILL NOT entertain our furry friends (Scully will be gutted :cry: ) She will have a fit when I pull out of our drive without her.

Whats your thoughts ?
I think I should have checked online b4 I posted. You're quite right, please book online.
Haybridge site is v.close to us. We have 2 guests booked in our drive, electricity included!
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Bin Bongoed said :arrow:

The Saturday Market in Wells is well worth a visit.

Just one other thought :-k Bin Bongoed, you did initially express a preference for the meet at Wookey Caves to be for the Sunday, How do people feel about that ? because I'm sure for one that my wife (bless her cotton socks) would be more than happy to walk around Wells and its Market on the Saturday and meet at the caves on the Sunday (say about 11.00)

But Hey, I`ll go with the flow (as you probably already know I'm easy ) :wink:
cheers! party on dudes.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:27 pm

Likewise, I'm easy like sunday morning - as long as its not too early :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm happy with that. Oh, if only I could make a decision!

Sunday it is, then.
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi bin bongoed, any sign of your new addition to the family yet. We would love to go to this meet but it's possible that it could conflict with our new arrival in Canada. We'll just have to wait and see
The Janner Vanner
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:27 pm

edward holman wrote:Hi bin bongoed, any sign of your new addition to the family yet. We would love to go to this meet but it's possible that it could conflict with our new arrival in Canada. We'll just have to wait and see
Yes, you bet. Lovely little girl, Ella-Louise, 6lb13oz borne Sunday 11th, almost exactly on date. Parents and baby totally relaxed about the whole thing. Amazing. We're thrilled, anyway! That makes 2 boys, 2 girls (and gorgeous step granddaughter, much older).

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”