Service belts/Filters

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Foz.Foz
Bongolier

Service belts/Filters

Post by Foz.Foz » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:18 pm

Hi guys...
Pick up the Bongo next week and one of the first jobs I'll get done is a service. I've been quoted £260+vat, from a Bongo friendly garage, if I supply the bits. I'd sooner get the first one done by this garage.
Found a kit on ebay and was wondering if there is anything else that would be needed to allow the garage to complete the job. Could someone take a look and let me know?? Or does anyone know of where I could get them cheaper elsewhere?
Thanks.. Adam

http://tinyurl.com/29groq
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:32 pm

That seems pretty cheap, you certainly won't get them for much less. The only other thing I can think of is a sump plug washer but the garage should have a selection in stock.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:10 pm

If your Bongo is having a new cam belt, it is a good idea to change the idle bearing and spring. Then the whole job is done. Bongomaster can supply. I would'nt do one part of the job without the other co's most of the cost is labour. What about alternator belts and aircon belt as well??
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:14 pm

O! and while he's got his head in there get him to make sure No 1 cylinder exaust stud is present. Mine wasn't and it is not a uncommon fault.
Enjoy!!!
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Foz.Foz
Bongolier

Post by Foz.Foz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:16 pm

Thanks for the answers so far....
Spoke to the guy in the garage where the bongo has been booked in for it's service. I've got the oil,air, fuel filters and new cambelt and I need to order a few more bits as well.

Alternator belts x2
Cambelt tensioner x1
cambelt tensioner spring x1
May be a roller guide and roller tensioner?? What are these and do I need them?
Any other bits?? I'll be ordering from BF in one go to save on P & P, so if I've missed anything..please advise..

thanks Adam
Last edited by Foz.Foz on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:22 pm

What are the brake pads like? On inspection, mine were getting low so I put new ones on. Quick job for a mechanic (v quick indeed just to inspect) , peace of mind for you.

Also, I'm assuming nothing about the service history of mine though I know its last service had been when landed in UK 2 yrs ago. So I want to drain, backflush and refill the coolant system (should be done every 2 years), and replace the brake fluid (should also be done every 2 years). Not sure if I'm being over fussy, and it does add to cost, but one member told BF that on inspection of his recently bought motor (from a dealer) it was found his coolant system had no antifreeze in it. Now that IS bad news.

Mike
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:24 pm

So I want to drain, backflush and refill the coolant system (should be done every 2 years), and replace the brake fluid (should also be done every 2 years). Not sure if I'm being over fussy, and it does add to cost, but one member told BF that on inspection of his recently bought motor (from a dealer) it was found his coolant system had no antifreeze in it. Now that IS bad news.
If there is the slightest doubt backflush the radiator, flush the system and change the coolant. Hundreds of Bongo owners can't be wrong. Just ensure it is filled following the recommended procedure.

Return to “Techie Stuff”